Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #1 
nomoretickets

New Betta Sorority

So my girlfriend and I finally decided to start our betta sorority. It seems that the fighting is over for now, and I'm concerned as to how much fin damage is normal, and how to promote regrowth? It's a 10 gallon lightly planted tank with heavy rock decorations and 4 females btw.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #2 
nomoretickets

woke up this morning, no new torn fins. as soon as i turned the lights on kitty (the most aggressive) started chasing everyone again. I put her in time out for a bit (floated her in a cup in the tank) while the others ate before i let her out to feed and that calmed her down a lot, but shes already back to chasing jasmine (second most aggressive and the most beat up right now).
Old 11-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #3 
Panthera

Well is she REALLY beating them up and acting quite aggressive? If its just nipping and chasing I'd leave her in until they establish an Alpha. But if it gets too aggressive, take her out and move the tank around a bit, and that should most likely help.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #4 
nomoretickets

right now its just nipping. Last night it was rough but it has calmed down alot. She just is so concerned with chasing Jasmine that no one could eat unless i put her in the cup
Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #5 
nomoretickets

here is jasmine (top) and kitty (bottom) and their fin damage after last night. i feel so bad for them, jasmine especially because her fins were so beautiful
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #6 
Panthera

I'd get another 2 females if I were you. 4 is okay, but its not the best number, and if you were to have 6 total it would help spread out the aggression, and stop 1 from being picked on.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #7 
darkangel216

Yup, another 2 females should sort them out.
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #8 
nomoretickets

im just worried about adding 2 more females, and things not really improving. Right now we can separate all the girls no problem, but if we add two more then we have no way to separate all of them if things dont work well. also just because jasmines fins already took such a beating im afraid the new two would also try and fight her.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #9 
bettafish15

I honestly think it would do more good then bad to add 2 new females. And maybe add more plants, break up their line of sight more, you know?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #10 
darkangel216

If things aren't improving then I would say either to seperate them into their own tanks for good, or go ahead and get more girls. If you want to keep your sorority going, then I would say to seperate the girls for now so that they can have some time to chill without worrying about being harassed by the others. After that, go get two new girls from the pet store. Before you put everyone in again, move some stuff around so that the ones that were already there don't get too territorial. Then put them in at the same time. There will be agression and fighting, however it should go down after a day or so. With so many girls, you shouldn't have to seperate them, unless you happen to get one that's being a little goober. :P
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote