Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #1 
baylee767

Lots of Sorority questions...

I've decided that if and when I get a 10 gallon fish tank, I'll start a sorority. Here comes the questions:

1. How many should I add? I Don't know if odd or even is better. I want to add either 5 or 6 Bettas, if possible.

2. How do I introduce them? I don't want them trying to kill each other and I don't want toxic ammonia levels (my tank will be cycled by the time I add fish)

3. What if a fish starves? If I get a few Bettas and one can't get to the food because the others are more piggish it will starve how do I prevent this?

4. Just a question on females in general... I see them in pictures with HUGE stomachs. Does that only happen if it sees a male or does it mean it has a disease or is bloated? Or does it happen all the time no matter what?

5. I read something about quarantining them before they're put in the tank? How am I supposed to do that, exactly?

6. Well... that's pretty much it

Last edited by baylee767; 11-17-2010 at 03:12 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #2 
darkangel216

1. 5 or 6 in a 10g is good.
2. You want to introduce them at the same time, there will be fighting as they sort out the pecking order. Aggression should go down over the next day or so.
3. There shouldn't be an issue with feeding them. As long as they can all make it to the top where the food is they should be fine.
4. Not quite sure on this, though I have had some females that over ate and got bloated. I fasted them a day or two and it seemed to work.
5. You have a new tank, so no need to quarantine anyone. Quarantine is more for when you add new fish to an already established tank.
6. Hope that helps you! :)
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #3 
Jupiter

1. 5 is perfect. They say the odd numbers lessen aggression, for some reason.

2. You should introduce them at the same time so that they can all establish their territory.

3. I ran into this problem sometimes. My dominant female would push other girls out of the way, or beat them to it. Well, try putting the ones that are hogging the food into a breeding trap when you feed them. Or, if you don't have a breeding trap, lure the piggy to one side of the tank to feed while feeding the others on the other side.

4. I don't know, i suppose the ones you are looking at are females that are either bloated from eating too much or full of eggs.

5. Quarantining is keeping any new fish you have in a seperate tank for a week or two to see if they have any diseases (as a preventative measure of spreading disease into your tank).
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #4 
CrankyFish84

Had mine a few days now....:) I introduced mine all at the same time...Just lined up the cups & put them in two at a time...then watched with horror as 4 went at it and 2 bailed to hide. LoL

They range in size & type, and yes, the Crowntail females were most aggressive.

The dominance displays lasted hardcore about 2-3 hours...chasing and fin biting and dancing around each other...it's scary but everyone here said to just wait a few more days unless one looked really bad off. Luckily, nobody was badly hurt.
I added more tall plants per suggested here also, you want them all to have lots of hiding spots & tall plants to hide behind when getting air...they fought over the betta log too....it's hot property.

Good luck :)
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #5 
baylee767

Thanks all these answers are very helpful (=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote