Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #1 
Hirelena

Swim Bladder Disorder?

So a day or so ago I saw my Betta floating sideways in his tank, then move quickly, then lay sideways on the bottom of the tank. At first I thought he was dying but I was suspicious something else was happening. I did a quick google search and saw that it could be swim bladder disorder.

Is that true?

And if so, how well does the pea trick work? Can I just buy a small can of peas and then feed it to him? How much do I feed, how often and for how long?

I could really use any advice please.

thanks everyone!
Hirelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems...have a few questions...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, filtration, live plants, water temp, feeding, how much and what kind of food, how long have you had him and what kind of additives used, what kind and how much?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #3 
Hirelena

Thank you Oldfishlady for your help~

The tank is 1.5 gallons, and I change it about once a week. Sadly since I thought he was sick I didnt change it afraid the stress might kill it.

I believe the last change was last Saturday, and I do not have a filter in the tank or a live plant, (should I buy one?).

Since I am not home atm, I cant tell you what the temp is at this exact moment, but its usually 75ish-80. I feed once a day, about 6 pellets?

Ive had him for a year and the only thing I add to the water is the Top Fin Water Conditioner.

I hope this information can help!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In a unfiltered 1.5gal tank I would increase the water changes to 1-50% and 1-100% a week, maintain the water temp in the 76-80F range-decrease the food by half

At this point I would start a daily 100% water changes for several days and fast him and see if this will help, if not, I would QT and start an Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days, cover the top of the Qt container with plastic veggies wrap to help keep the air warm and humid for the labyrinth organ-feed half feedings every other day during treatment...you can float him in a small QT container with the Epsom salt in his tank to help maintain temp- but be sure and attach it so it doesn't sink.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #5 
Hirelena

So no pea treatment? Just change the water and fast him?

Im glad its such a simple treatment I can start it today, thank you Oldfishlady!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I personally don't use the pea treatment, however, many do and have had success with it-it is not harmful and can provide fiber to help with digestion, often water changes and fast is all that is needed to allow the fish system to clean out-Use of Epsom salt 1tsp/gal (not aquarium salt) also works as a laxative and buoyancy problems by reducing the edema/swelling in the duct for advanced cases.

Often these type of symptoms can be related to overfeeding, water quality, too cold/dry air, cold water, genetics, husbandry practiced at the breeders during the growth and development stages and/or retail shop dirty/cold water.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #7 
Hirelena

So after trying the water changing and fasting, Aya seemed to be doing better. He seemed a bit more energetic and seemed to be swimming better. So I began to give him like 3-4 pellets once a day for a few days until he suddenly turned for the worst.

He was back to laying on the bottom of the tank, sluggish, and having problems swimming. It was so bad, I swore he died two mornings ago, and thats when I noticed a lump on his side.

Is it still bloat? What can I do to fix this?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic and what kind of water changes have you been doing-how often how much, water temp, additives, filter, live plants....

The lump-is it the same on both side when you look down on the fish, location of the lump?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #9 
Hirelena

At the moment, the temp is 76 degrees (probably would be higher but the top was off so I could feed him a pea), and the water change is 100 %, the last time I changed it was Sunday and I added espon salt. The treatment is "top fin, tap water dechlorinator) and no live plants. There is a air stone for the filter in the tank.

The lump is on the left when I look down on him, close to his fin. I tried to take a photo with my camera but it sucked, ditto with the cell but I think the cell looks better, so here it is. Hope you can see it!

if you need any more info please let me know!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Can't see the pic...but I do understand how hard it is to get a good one that shows the problem.....anyway....

..... if the lump is on one side it may be a tumor if it seem to be under the flesh if not it could be a external parasite like anchor worm....

if it is a tumor not a lot you can do except treat the symptom and try and keep them comfy-Epsom salt 1tsp/gal and water changes like last time....

if it is an anchor worm and you can manually remove it with tweezers and do aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment for 10 days to prevent secondary infection-treatment of the tank may be needed to rid the eggs too.

Good luck....