Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #1 
lostmyz

Possible Bloat...

Hi all I am relatively new to taking care of Bettas. I have been an avid aquarium owner from freshwater tanks to i had a 125gal salt water reef tank for 5 yrs before I took it down. I recently bought a betta for my girlfriend, she named him Popeye hes a blue crown fin with red tips. She loves the ever living hell out of him. Anyways... She had to go out of town and I moved Popeye from his 5 gal Fluval Chi tank with a fake plant and a real betta plant I grew fr om a bulb (OMG this thing is out of control I have to trim it every 3 days). So popeye went from his luxury condo to a 2 gal bowl with nothing in it really but some rocks for his 2 week stay at my house. I noticed today that his belly or the area below his pectoral fins is a little bloated. I dont know if its from me over feeding him or if its actually Malawi Bloat. He is very active, not laying around anywhere, and there are no streaks where the area is bloated, no change in stool color and not gasping for air at the top of the tank or resisting eating food. That sucker sees your hand go to the top of the bowl and he comes running waiting for you to drop a pellet in there. So my question is am I feeding him too much or is it bloat? I feed him twice a day a few pellets...

Please help.. Ill try to post a picture on here but the lil guy doesn't like to sit still for too long, lol
lostmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If he is acting fine other than the bloat I would start by holding all food for 2-3 days and start making daily 100% water changes-hopefully it is just over feeding and as you have found out it is easy to do with this species since they tend to beg for food and act like they are starving.....lol......

What is the water temp and what kind of water changes have you been doing?

Make sure to try and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water and use a dechloranater with any new water added to the fish to prevent other problems

Keep us updated and if the fast and water changes don't help or he has a change in behavior you can do an Epsom salt 1tsp/gal treatment...but I would try the fast and water change first.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote