Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #1 
TRISHIESfishie

Kinda a heater emergency question

Ok I had to replace my submersible heater (50 or 55 watts) for a 2-15 gal tank. My tank is 3gals. Walmart only had the 10-30 gal heater (100 watts). I had to get a heater. So I bought the bigger one. Both heat the water to 78 degrees and shut off. My question is will the bigger heater be ok? I mean it shuts off at 78 degrees regardless if it's in 3 gals or 30 gals right? 78 degrees is 78 degrees....
or so I hope.

I have to go to bed soon, just finished setting it up. It needs 24 hours to get to full heat so I think I have time. I hope someone can help me tonight.

thank you
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #2 
JKfish

That's a pretty big size difference, but if you can fit it correctly in your tank, it should work. Just keep a close eye on it....
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #3 
TheSecondOne

It should be okay. Since you bought the bigger heater, it'll only need to heat the water for a couple of minutes and then rest for an hour or so before heating a couple of minutes again. Aside from the slight 1 degree temperature variation between heating cycles, I can't foresee any problems. Just make sure that your heater isn't lying down horizontally.
TheSecondOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #4 
Lion Mom

"Just make sure that your heater isn't lying down horizontally."

Why? ALL of my submersible, adjustable heaters are in my tanks that way and have been for YEARS. Much easier to hide that way.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #5 
Capricorn

As long as the heater's cylinder is fully submerged I think it'll be okay, though if you can find a properly sized one at some point you may want to downsize a little.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #6 
TRISHIESfishie

My heater is vertical. Thank you everyone.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #7 
TheSecondOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Why? ALL of my submersible, adjustable heaters are in my tanks that way and have been for YEARS. Much easier to hide that way.
I don't think there're any functional problems with a horizontal heater, but there is an advantage to placing it vertically. It'll be more convenient to adjust the temperature setting because you won't have to immerse your whole hand into the tank water.

Placing the heater in the corner of the tank is also not too good if there's no water flow, as the areas far away from the heater will be significantly cooler.
TheSecondOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

I would definitely keep an eye on it. It could work fine for now, but if anything goes wrong, it can surely cook your fish quickly. (Not saying it couldn't happen with a smaller heater, it just wouldn't be AS quick and possibly easier to catch).

GL!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #9 
TRISHIESfishie

I have the heaters opposite from the thermometers and as close to the filters as possible