Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #11 
Jupiter

Hi Tokyobetta! Hadn't seen you for a while. You tank looks great!

Consider feeding daphnia for constipation instead of peas. bettas can't digest plant matter very well, so giving it to him as part of a regular diet isn't a good idea.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #12 
TokyoBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettablue View Post

I have a betta w/ a lump too and I was wondering what it means? is it permanent?
I'm not sure but he had some slight inflammation in the left gill too.
That seems to have gone away (the insides of gills are naturally red so it's hard to tell but there's no swelling and he's happy and not gasping for air) but I think that may have been connected.

He also wasn't eating much, he may have had an infection in his mouth or something, or in the throat. It's really hard to tell. I did some reading online and some people's Betta's just have tumors and lumps or cysts, as humans do sometimes.

If your Betta shows any strange symptoms I recommend a water change and for things that seem like infections, some salt.

That has helped me clear up all problems so far. He had some problems before with fungus or something I believe, and this time he obviously had a kind of infection somewhere or more fungus. A water change and some salt both times helped him heal naturally.

However if you suspect constipation also (unrelated to your case but as a rule of thumb) I understand salt isn't good as it causes water retention and further bloating. Also, salt shouldn't be used all the time. I used to use it all the time but I've stopped that now because according to advice I received here from ppl who have been in this a long time, it can cause the Betta to become accustomed to it and make the efficacy of salt weak at times when you really need it.

That's all I know, good luck.
TokyoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #13 
TokyoBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Hi Tokyobetta! Hadn't seen you for a while. You tank looks great!

Consider feeding daphnia for constipation instead of peas. bettas can't digest plant matter very well, so giving it to him as part of a regular diet isn't a good idea.

Thanks Jupiter

What is Daphnia? Is it called by another name?

Thanks for the heads up on the peas.
He had a nice poop this week so he seems okay.
His appetite has returned too!

Next time he seems constipated I also want to try Oldfishlady's recipe, but I think I need a blender my utensils aren't hacking it.

Would like to try the daphnia too if it's available here!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #14 
TokyoBetta

UPDATE and question

Well Sam seems fine.

His left gill is missing a small flap or something that seems to be more prominent on the right side.
I think he yanked it on something or got caught somewhere, I dunno...
His issue was perhaps 1 part infection and 1 part injury. There is nothing sharp or dangerous in the tank that I can see so, supposing that's what he did, I'm not sure how he would have done it.. but anyhow.

But he's simming around lots, is eating 2-3 pellets in the morning and 1-2 at night, so that's half what he used to eat so I'm not overfeeding him anymore. He had a poop so I don't think he's constipated anymore either.

Things seem well.

I have a question about cycling/tank filters.

I don't have a way of testing my ammonia levels or nitrates or nitrites etc.
The filter is turning a little darker, not a fresh white anymore.

At the end of the month do I want to:

1) Change it completely and then do so every month hence, so it's always nice n fresh
OR
2) Just rinse it in tank water (as I was advised) and leave it as-is, because it will eventually cycle itself and I don't want to lose the bacteria.

I am doing 50% water changes every 3-5 days and vacuuming gravel and cleaning the ornaments inside. It's a 5 gallon tank with one fish.

I will be adding juniper moss soon, so that's even more plants.

Which method, 1 or 2, is best for the fish?
Is cycling necessary? I'm not confident I can do it right since I don't have the measuring tools.
Is changing the filter every month just as good as cycling?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #15 
Jupiter

Daphnia as far as I know is just called that...you should be able to find it either frozen or feeze dried at a petstore.

Good to hear that Sam's better though.

Definitely do the second. Replacing the media will mean you lose the bacteria. Just rinse and swish it around in a bucket of tank water (not tap water, since the chemicals will kill the bacteria).

Cycling seems pretty daunting, but it's actually not that hard, especially since you have live plants helping you. And since you're changing the water regularly, you should be okay. Just keep at it!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #16 
TokyoBetta

Ok thanks Jupiter I'll start rinsing the filter out in a bucket of the old water before I toss it.

Is once a month good?

In so doing, the tank just eventually becomes 'cycled'?

Also, I remember reading that even if doing 50% changes on a filtered tank every few days as I'm doing now, you should still do a 100% change once a month. Is this true?? I am cleaning ornaments and plants regularly and vacuuming gravel, so if the water is changed regularly that seems fine to me but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks a lot!

Gonna buy some juniper moss tomorrow, a blue light bulb and a new background for the tank. I'll post pictures of the new look after I get it all set up!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #17 
TokyoBetta

Posted this in the Aquarium pics thread but just in case I'll put it here too.

Hose alone:

Divider to keep agitated water in the corner and make the rest of the water calm:

Old lights:

New blue/white bulb

Plus I added two large sprigs of Juniper moss so I'm hoping he enjoys the calm water and floating plants and makes a nest now!
He hasn't made one for a while.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #18 
TokyoBetta

FILTER question

Hi it's me again

Keeping it to the same thread to avoid forum clutter!

I changed his filter today when I did his 50-60% water change.
I'd done one Sunday and today's Thursday so, as good a day as any.

I noticed that the filter had turned a little brownish as of late.
I assume that's good(?)

Also today when I cracked it open and rinsed it (in the tank water) it reallllly smelled like pee. Very ammonia-ish. I think its is good(?) because it means the ammonia is in the filter and not in Sam's water(?) Should it smell like that?

So I gave the filter a good swishing and squishing in the tank water before dumping it and it didn't really turn white again but it didn't smell so strongly after. Actually it's a tad less dirty looking, but still slightly brownish.

Is it possible for a filter to go 'bad', to start doing more harm than good?
I still have this sneaking feeling that putting a fresh sparkling white filter in there would be somehow better but I also appreciate that there is a benefit to letting the filter naturally accumulate bacteria and convert the ammonia vs. just trapping it.

Cheers