Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #1 
nomoretickets

Super young betta, any special care needs?

Just visited petsmart and saw this little girl. There was one other her size already dead so I couldn't leave her there. She is literally an inch long and cant believe that she was even there. Fins are all still clamped and we cant even sex it because it is so young. Can this betta eat pellets, or should we stick to bloodworms or something else? what special care should a super young betta like this get? (or am i wrong and is it older then i think?)
Attached Images

nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

ooooo......it looks pretty young. Well first you'll need a tank (absolutely bare bottomed to make it easier), keep the temperature in the mid 80's, and do daily 100% water changes. You'll also need to feed live foods (microworms, vinegar eels, baby brine shrimp) with frozen foods (bloodworms, baby brine shrimp). How big is this betta?
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #3 
bettafish15

She said the bettas an inch long... ^^
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #4 
nomoretickets

HE said the betta is about an inch long, but my gf is quick to correct me in the fact that she payed for it and is going to be caring for it lol. currently it is in a 1 gal critter keeper with a gravel bottom and a 50 watt preset heater right at 77-78* should we move her to a divided 10 gallon with an adjustable heater for now?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #5 
scootshoot

How cute. Just got back from Petco myself (had to stock up on some Betta pellets). My neighborhood Petco had a huge display of Betta's male and female, looks to be a recent shipment. Saw 3 real small juvenile females like yours on display.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #6 
CrankyFish84

Can you get a sea monkey kit? Those would be good for her...Awww shes so lil!!!
I say sea monkey bc its hard to find brine shrimp eggs where I'm at..maybe different where you are.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #7 
nomoretickets

Update: a local petshop is closing a location and is liquidating it's supply so we got her a 5.5 gallon tank for $11 and a 50 watt heater for $12. Currently the temp is 86* and there is another pet shop that has brine shrimp eggs and hatchery in stock so we are going there tomorrow. I've never delt with shrimp or feeding live food to a Betta, so how does this work really? Hatch them in the tank with her?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:56 AM   #8 
CrankyFish84

Thats awesome! You rock for getting that for her. :)

I have a brine shrimp hatchery kit that hangs inside a tank & it says they take 18-24 hours to hatch...I haven't used it yet though, sorry :( I think its easy though, you just put them in & they do their thing, then you can suck them up
with a siphon tube or turkey baster & feed it to her...
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can also feed her Hikari micro pellets. They're very tiny and she should be able to eat them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #10 
nomoretickets

Update: We can see what appears to be a very small egg dot on the belly so we are calling it a girl for now. yesterday just before going out to buy live food, be split one of my pellets (already fairly small) in half and soaked it before putting it in the tank and she ate it. she has already noticeably grown, and her fins are less clamped and we can see substantial new fin growth (fins have doubled in size). she is also continually perplexed by the heater light, every time it comes on she just stares at it until it goes off.