Malvolti

Treating Finrot, request advice

I'll start with the basics;

Housing
What size is your tank? 2g

What temperature is your tank? 77

Does your tank have a filter? yes

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes

Is your tank heated? no (my apartment is kept at a steady 77 but I have a thermometer in the tank to watch it and a heater on standby just incase)

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Blood worms. I've tried everything and that is the only thing he will eat.

How often do you feed your betta fish? as much as he can eat in a couple minutes twice daily with a weekly fast.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Usually 2/week

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75% and 100%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are shredded and appear shorter but no dark tips.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none

When did you start noticing the symptoms? shortly after he came home

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Daily water changes and AQ salt. Just upgraded it to Maracyn and Maracyn II

Does your fish have any history of being ill? I don't know

How old is your fish (approximately)? pet shop age.

So, now that's I'll give some background. I'll start by saying I've had Betta in the past but they've never gotten sick to the point of needing medication. I had to stop about 10 years ago when I started university and now that my post grad is winding down I decided to get back into it.

After setting up the tank and making sure everything was ready I went out to the local PetsMart and picked up my boy (Howl), a beautiful Royal blue VT with hints of aquamarine and red (I'll post picks when he gets better).

When we got home I noticed some tattered fins so I added a bit of AQ salt to help the transition and heal up the fins. Now I notice his fins are still growing shorter. I pulled out the flashlight to get a better look at his fins and I don't see dark tips but they are turning white. I went out and picked up the Maracyn and Maracyn II to start treatment. This is where the advice comes in.

Usually I do daily 50% changes for a sick fish and from what I understand that is the usual, however the medication says not to change the water for 5 days while I medicate. My instinct is to ignore the packaging in this case but I just want to make sure.

Also what do people think of API's Bettafix. I saw it in the store and wondered if it would actually help the recovery or if it's just a money grab.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #2 
small fry

Hello. Sorry I need to be walking out the door right now, so I didn't have time to read the whole article.

I just noticed that all your betta eats is bloodworms. That can cause serious problems! Beside the lack in nutritional values such as veggitation, it also is hard on your betta's diegestive track.

I am not trying to scold at all, I don't want it to sound like it is coming across that way but, you really need to do all you can to find some flakes that your betta likes. You should only feed your betta bloodworms one time, 2-3 times a week.

It may cost a bit searching for some flakes that he likes but in the long run it should really pay off!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #3 
Malvolti

I know and I'm trying. I've so far bought every brand of pellet and flake that the local shops sell. In the mean time I'm trying to get him used to flakes/pellets by not feeding him worms unless I have to (if haven't seen him eat in a while).

I'm also trying to soak the pellets incase it's a hardness thing. Like I said, he's only been with me a few days and my first concern is his fins.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #4 
small fry

ok, it sounds like you are doing all that you can. Good job! Hope you can find something he likes!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

From what I understand...this is a Betta new to you in a 2g filtered tank with a stable water temp of 77F-he has shredded fin and no appetite....correct...

Are you on well water? since you don't use any additives....if not- are you using any dechlorinator to cover chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals...what is your source water.....the water is the most important aspect of your fish overall health and well being...

How many day have you had him and how many/low much water changes have you done-how strong is the filter?

How much aquarium salt are you using?

I would get some dechlorinator if on city water supply and QT and start 100% daily water changes for several days with dechlorinated water to start.....

If you are using a dechlorinator-a good treatment for torn fins is fresh clean dechlorinated water from daily water changes...it can take several days to start to see improvement and months for a full recovery and often they will never return to the full finnage they once had....water change is often the best medication for fins
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #6 
Malvolti

Your understanding is mostly right. He has a huge apetite for Bloodworms (what betta doesn't), it's flakes/pellets he doesn't touch. I tried soaking some pellets for a few mins in water tonight and he ate about 3 small ones so it's a start.

I'm on city water but I filter for heavy metals and I use dechlorinator every time I change his water.

I use as much salt as is recommended on the box. I don't have it in front of me so I don't remember exactly.

I've had him since friday, noticed the torn fins day 1 so I've done 2 water changes. 50% yesterday and 75% today.

Like I said, I've looked after betta before so I know the basics I'm just wondering about the medication(maracyn and maracyn 2) directions which make little sense in my case (They assume a 10 gal so suggest not changing any water for 5 days and then only doing a 25%). Just want to make sure I'm right in doing 50% daily.

I'm also curious about betafix, if it actually does what it claims (Help fish recover from finrot) or if it's another scam. Is there anything else I can do to help him?

Last edited by Malvolti; 11-15-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

You say filter for heavy metal...how...what kind of dechlorinater are you using and how much?

At this point I would not use any medications other than daily 100% water changes...using aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with the 100% daily water change for 10 day will not hurt but IMO not needed with just torn fins.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #8 
Malvolti

Personally I'm paranoid about water quality (especially in apartments) so I have a water filtration system hooked up to my kitchen taps that filters most harmful things out.

As a dechlorinator I use nutrafin betta plus.

The reason I started medicating was that it appeared his tail fin was receding (on top of the tearing) and I figured I should be safe.

Since when I kept betta in the past I didn't have access to resources such as this forum I wanted to ask the communal wisdom if I was doing the right thing. Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

The problem with the home water filter is that they just change one Ion for another that is worse on the fish...I would not use water filtered for tropical fish and aquariums-a good dechlorinator is Prime by Seachem it will take care of chlorine, chloramine and heavy metal

I understand about the mass of information that you can get in todays world with the internet..lots of opinions......

Are you sure he is not tail biting???? if he has a sudden reduction of tail size it may be related to tail biting and that can be caused from a varied reason.....

Water quality is so important with any species of tropical fish-but you are on the right track with the water changes and asking for help....lot of water changes with like temp dechlorinated water is often all that is needed....sometimes the OTC medications and treatments can do more harm than good...the environment (water) is the most important aspect of good health-by providing the proper environment this can allow the fish immune response to kick in and take care of most problems without any intervention from us other than the clean fresh dechlorinated water....no magic pill or treatment...it takes time for them to heal and regenerate new tissue.

Can you post a pic....that will help us tell you if it is tail biting or rot....
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #10 
Malvolti

He doesn't like having his picture taken so they are a little fuzzy. He also wouldn't extend his dorsal fin so you can't see the damage on that. He's a Veil Tail incase that changes things.

EDIT: so, the host doesn't like hosting. I'll fix it.

EDIT 2: Fixed

Last edited by Malvolti; 11-15-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Tags
advice, cure, finrot, treatment