Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #1 
eclover09

Rescued Fish, seems really out of it : /

So, for the record, I am not counting this fish in my rule of "Im not getting ANY more fish" since I did not technically buy him lol.

But story is, the other day I went with my friend to her boyfriends house to hang out. As soon as I entered I saw this 1/2 tank on his kitchen counter, one of those betta kit things, and went over to investigate, all excited that he had a fish. Oh my God, saddest little thing I have ever seen. The water was cloudy, there was a bunch of flake food caked on the top and the fish was just sitting at the bottom, didn't even budge when I got close. My friend mentioned to her boyfriend I had Betta's, and then he was like "Oh, really? Well actually that's cool, cause I've had this one for a month and it just like...doesn't do anything". So of course, I go into a rant (very politely though, I am shy) about how he should get a bigger tank, and a heater, and how to feed it properly and he needs to change the water every other day...

Uh, yeah, he wasn't going for it. He just laughed and said that was too much effort and my friend just rolled her eyes and told him he might as well just give me the fish now or I'd bug him all night about it, but I told him "No, no, I have too many fish already. I really can't" But of course, sitting in his living room all night I kept staring at that poor fish in the kitchen, barely moving at all and by the end of the night I asked him if I could take it and he let me. I had extra plants, rocks and a one gallon at home so I just I picked up a preset heater -.- I know people don't recommend it, but all the adjustable heaters were for like two gallons or more and I couldn't find a decent two gallon below thirty bucks (little tight on money till next week) so I went for a preset to see if it would work for the time being.

I've never had a sick or unhealthy fish before, all my fish I've ever gotten have been healthy and alert when I bought them so I just wanted to post this to see if anyone had any advice so I can help him out to my best ability.

Housing
What size is your tank? One gallon
What temperature is your tank? Fluctuates between 79-81
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum
How often do you feed your betta fish? Fed him this morning, three pellets. At first I didn't think he was going to eat them, but he did.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? When I first brought him home last night he had stress stripes, clear as day. They have gone away over night.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has been very lethargic. He doesn't move much at all, he's either sitting at the bottom of the tank or at the top of tank. He seems to struggle a bit to swim I've noticed as well, like he's really weak. His body is like, limp and his fins are so poor in condition : ( It also looks like he's missing patches of scales in certain parts of his body. His color is weak as well.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I added a teaspoon of aquarium salt.

Some pictures. I swear to you he looks even more pitiful then in these pictures...:

eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #2 
Adastra

Poor guy, he doesn't look as bad as I was expecting, really. His rays are nice and thick, and his color is fairly dark. After his ammonia burns heal and he spends some time in super clean, heated water he should really perk up. You should be doing 100% water changes every other day--try to keep him in the most consistent place in your house because of the pre-set heater. Luckily, your house is just warm enough so that it doesn't under-heat the water.

I think he'll probably be gorgeous in a week or so. Later, you can offer him up for adoption if you don't think you can keep him.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #3 
metalbetta

Oh poor guy... :(

I don't see anything too wrong with him outside of being a tad bit skinny. Just keep him clean and warm!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #4 
eclover09

Well I'm glad he doesn't seem too bad to ya'll, I had just compared him to my other crowntail I have and thought he looked rather gnarly. I'm hoping he perks up, because I feel so awful to see him just sitting in the same spot for like a half hour before struggling to move. I'll definitely make sure to do the water changes and I'm guessing the brown/orange on him is the ammonia burn? I hadn't realized that color until I took the picture, cause when I look at him I can't really tell.

He will probably sucker me into not giving him away lol really depends if I can get some good deals on tanks this Black Friday at petco, I don't want to keep him in that bowl once he's all better.

But I'll make sure to keep an eye on him and the temperature. My house stays around seventy five and the water last night only dropped to 79 and the highest its been at for the past couple of hours has been 81. Luckily I had an extra digital thermometer as well so I've been watching the water temp like a hawk.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Poor thing! I think clean, heated water and a good diet will do wonders for him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote