Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #1 
alg0181

Question Losing interest?

Hey folks, I joined just to ask you this question! Most fish forums have a lack of betta people.

I have recently embarked upon the betta breeding adventure (yes the water is tested and clean, 16g tank with 5" water, plants, 80 degrees f, sponge filter which is off at the moment--the works--I did my research). I introduced the pair last night and they treated me to a brilliant show: dancing, flaring, chasing, etc. The male began a bubble nest about 10 minutes after I introduced them. Now they are loose together and have been since last night (they are very gentle) and the bubblenest is quite large. The female is fat and happy, her ovipositor is showing, though no stripes because she's cambodian.

Here is my question. The male seems to take a lot of breaks. For example, he'll chase her around the tank and flare for 20 seconds, then go build bubbles for five minutes, and then kind of rest in the plants for quite a while, maybe 15 minutes? Occasionally the female will approach him and do a little dance on her nose, and he kind of "wakes up" and gives chase again. Is it normal for the male to take his sweet time? He is also blowing bubbles everywhere he rests, not just in the cup. Is he losing interest? Thank you!!
alg0181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

How long did you condition them and with what foods?

IME a higher temperature helps the process speed up a little bit. Also I've read that too large a tank and the pair can "loose" each other, although some breeders spawn in huge tanks and never have problems.

Just give them time. If they're not being too aggressive then don't worry to much about it. They'll spawn when their ready.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #3 
leeb62

It seems like your female is ready to mate if she is doing the dance to the male. Like 1fish said just give them some more time they will spawn for you. Good luck!
leeb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Yup everything sounds right. Good luck!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #5 
BettaJ

just wondering, how are the pair doing?
BettaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #6 
JaspersANGEL

Aaah ur gonna have cute little fish babies! Remember everything takes a bit of patience, they will spawn for u eventually.
Good luck!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #7 
PeggyJ

Yeah sometimes it takes a few days and sometimes only a few minutes... good luck!
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote