Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #1 
TRISHIESfishie

I need some help please

ok my betta is King. I don't know his water conditions. Walmart was out of the testing kits. He is in a 3 gal cylinder aquarium. He has a shark and a toy dinosaur tree and marbles for gravel. I am adding a cave today. I have had him since Jan. He has never had any problems until a week ago when we had a cold snap. he was cold about 24 hours but he has a thermometer now that maintains the water at 78 degrees. He was stil acting listless not swimming much either staying at the top or the bottom. He keeps hugging the heater. I changed his water and he perked up for a few days and began eating again but not with his normal vigor. He eats pellets. But now he is listles again and even tipped on his side twice but right himself. Oh and his water is 78 degrees but the surrounding air is pry like 60 because the living room heater is broke. I bought some stress coat but how much should I use? I wil be doing a water change first. Thank you
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #2 
shinybetta

Hmm, the air he is breathing above the tank may be cold, or he might have the beginning's of a disease. Hope everything goes well!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #3 
brandonwlee

frequent water chages will most probably fix his illness, i prefer 100% water change every alt days, u may want to consider putting him in a separate bare tank, add some stress coat, and put some indian almond leave to provide a soothing environment. anyway make sure the temperature does not fluctuate largely during the day and night since your heater is not working, as they are susceptible to velvet and ich (white spot). cover your tank will do some help. hope he recovers soon
brandonwlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #4 
bettafish15

It's hard on a betta when the outside air is much colder than the tank water. A few degrees' difference is okay, but it sounds like a big difference :/ It could be that...
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 AM   #5 
TRISHIESfishie

Thank you all for your input. I did a 100% water change, added his fake plants, his new cave and some stress coat. He is listing more but fighting it. I have been bothering him alot lately since he got sick, what with water changing and making him move when he is scarey still. So I am going to leave him alone and and keep a distant eye on him. I have done what I can. So keep him in your prayers.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #6 
TRISHIESfishie

I think it's the cold. I wrapped his tank in newspaper. Hopefully it keeps his environment warmer.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #7 
TRISHIESfishie

He seems to be listing less. It's hard to tell because I am leaving the newspaper on while I go to work. I only have a small window to "peek" in on him. I will begin an epson salt treatment tonight.

Last edited by TRISHIESfishie; 11-18-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Since your house is really cold I would also cover the top of his tank with plastic veggies wrap to help keep the air above the water warm and humid along with the Epsom salt treatment
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #9 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Since your house is really cold I would also cover the top of his tank with plastic veggies wrap to help keep the air above the water warm and humid along with the Epsom salt treatment
thank you for all your advice. He is doing a tiny better in his qt cup and humid tank. Even when his is staying still his little fins are still moving so that is better than before. So now time for his newspaper blanket :D
Old 11-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #10 
TayHudson

Do you have a heater for your tank?
TayHudson is offline   Reply With Quote