Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2010, 01:50 AM   #1 
GravityKitty

Bloated Belly

Quite suddenly, Frank has a bloated belly. Now, this is JUST his stomach, not his whole body and his scales aren't raised, so I'm pretty sure at this point it's not Dropsy. I think it's constipation because he's swimming ok, but he just looks a little pale.

I keep on reading different things on how to treat constipation usually involving peas, but some say to do it, others do not. I plan on doing a water change later today.

The thing that confuses me though is that a lot of websites are saying that constipation is from over feeding. I didn't feed him as much as I normally do because I wasn't home for part of the day.

Any suggestions?

Housing
What size is your tank? Five gallon
What temperature is your tank? 81 Degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Do live plants count?
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold and Freeze Dried Blood Worms (on occasion although I did feed him this a bit more often than usual this week)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times a day with 4 bio-gold pellets and once every few days one of those times will have blood worms instead.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He suddenly looked pale and his stomach looked bloated. This must've happened in a matter of hours because I like to watch him sometimes throughout my day. His fins are not clamped, nor is he pineconing.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I noticed it in the middle of the night, so he's sleeping right now. He seems to be moving fine, though when he's changing position in the tank.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, but I plan on doing a 20% water change later today.

Last edited by GravityKitty; 11-20-2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Added Tank Specs
GravityKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #2 
Waterbottle2

try feeding him only 2-3 pellets twice a day all the advice i can give how often do you change his water?
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #3 
GravityKitty

It was constipation. He's fine now, stomach's normal size and he's his normal colors again =)
GravityKitty is offline   Reply With Quote