Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #1 
ashleyy

Anyone else having weight problems?

I've been gaining a lot over the past three years.

I've always been a veryyyyy skinny girl. 5'4 110lbs.
Now I'm 145 and I gained it all in three years.

I have a few problems that hinder me from exercising and eating right as much as I need to. If I don't eat at certain times or enough, I get a killer migraine. I've also gotten EXTREMELY out of shape, If I run for maybe 20 feet I out of breath. Also, I have a bad knee, I'm supposed to have surgery on it, but I don't really have health insurance anymore... so they plan fell through.

I'm also, veryy tired all the time. So I go home and do homework and have some free time and sleep. It is hard for me to jog or run because of my knee and out of shapeness. I've tried calorie counting, but the less I eat, the more migraines I get. I know I have to see a dietitian or something, but yet again.. insurance and being very tight on money is holding me back.

My clothes don't fit anymore, and we don't have enough money to buy new clothes because I gained so much weight. Also, people think I'm pregnant because I have about 20 lbs of excess fat on my belly.

Is anyone else going through the same situation?

Any success stories?

Any tips and tricks?
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #2 
Drift

|D Ha, you and I sound a lot alike. I'm the same height used to weigh 115-120, and I am now 150-155 in the course of 2.5 years. I had to buy new pants and everything. :c I don't look like a I gained as much as I did though.
I've also got bad knees, it's called patella femoral syndrome and it's been getting worse with age. So I no longer can do the things I like to do. I can't eat 3 square meals a day because of my job. I don't get the time to eat dinner and I don't get home until 8-9 sometimes later and it's not good for you to eat and fall asleep right after. So I compensated by eating larger heavy lunches and that being the only meal I eat. As to why I gained so much weight.
I've been a little more active lately, but with the weather getting colder it's much harder.
Mostly a long speal that you and I are in the same boat. XD So don't feel as bad?
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #3 
ashleyy

Lol, seems like we are in the same boat! I decided I'm just going to try to be more active. Honestly, I go home and sit. Sit, sit, sit, sit.

I used to be in marching band in high school, and that was about the only form of exercising I got. (My band wasn't an average marching band, we did some crazy and demanding drill)
Old 11-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #4 
bloo97

I have weight problems, and I'm not too proud of it. I'm not fat, but I am...larger than other people? I hate it. Sooo self-concious. Er...however you spell that. xD
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #5 
ashleyy

Same here, it's hard to stay thin in todays society. But, I'm going to try. Mainly because I just found out I'm borderline Type 2 diabetes. Nice. I'm not overweight, but I guess my body thinks I am.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #6 
bloo97

That really sucks. I just need excersize. Er..howeva ya spell that. AGAIN! xD
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #7 
Jupiter

I'm overweight too, mostly because of poor lifestyle choices on my part.
I'm somewhere between 5'0-5'2" and around 130 lbs, I think.

I'm also terribly out of shape. I used to be on a swim team in elementary and early highschool. Even then I wasn't thin...I don't think I've ever been thin...but I managed my body weight through swimming. Now that I'm all lazy and out of shape, I'm pretty chubby. I'm always tired too. Partially, I think, because I'm anemic, and also probably because of my lack of exercise. But it doesn't bother me too much.

As for eating, I find that if I hold back on eating I get bad headaches. Well, that much is obvious. But then eating too much suddenly or eating junk food will make the headaches even worse and I'll be sick for the rest of the day.

The only obvious diet advice I can give you is don't skip breakfast.

But if you want to exercise, swimming isn't horribly demanding. It's the only kind of exercise I like. It's great for stress relief, too.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #8 
purplemuffin

Yup yup. I'm a big girl, but I have a nice body type for being overweight.. I don't 'look' as heavy as I am, just look curvy. Which is nice, the boyfriend sure doesn't complain :D

I would like to get thinner though, I know that if I wait much longer it will just get harder as I get older.. I like being curvy, but it would be nice to be able to get away with.. wearing a bikini without blinding someone? LOL! Would also help my terribly low self esteem, which is more of where my problem lies, but I don't need to go into it now. I'm working on it, I like myself, and even if people have a problem with it..I like my body for the most part(I could just do without a few pounds!)

Part of the problem for me is the american mindset that dinner is the 'big' meal of the day..really should be switched with a large breakfast/lunch and just a little in the evening! The other issue is i don't sleep enough, and I already have natural genetic tendencies to be overweight. It's not an excuse, it just means I have to work harder than some people!

Haha, to the right there is an add for weight loss, thought that was funny.

Good luck to everyone :) Keep your heart rate up, gets you the most out of your workout! Maybe in the next weeks/months we'll start seeing results if we make the right choices and just get healthier! Woohoo! Motivation!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #9 
TaylorW

I used to be a dancer all my life (ballet, jazz, modern, dance team, you get the picture! :P), from ages 3 to age 17. In high school I was averaging 12 hours of practice after school a week, not including the two 4 hour extra practices every weekend.

Now I've gone from being a dancer to being a college student and haven't danced in 2 to 3 years. Funny thing is, even though I exercised and ate right, I was still always really curvy. With all that exercise I was still 130 lbs. I'm 5'5 and a half, so 130 is normal, but a lot bigger than all the other ballet-tooth-pick-girls :P Hearing 5'8, 110 lb girls saying "I'm fat" all day is REALLY bad for one's self esteem :/

But now I'm in between 135 to 145 (my weight fluctuates a lot, it always has! :P) and it's a struggle to stay healthy! I went from being fine after 4 hour dance classes to being tired after running up 3 flights of stairs!

I know I'm not heavy and not in bad shape, but I still can identify with everyone's weight struggles! I was always the bigger dancer in class, and even though I'm out of dance, I still feel the pressure to look like a dancer... or at least look like I did when I danced...

It's also frustrating going from being a top notch athlete to never exercising, then watching your muscles and stamina wither away... not to mention the few extra pounds :/

Good luck to everyone here though, I think we can keep ourselves on track and exercise and eat healthy foods and get back to where we want to be! :D
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #10 
TaylorW

As for exercising, some places like community centers teach exercise classes for free, and I always found working out in a large group or taking a class made me feel more motivated :) Ooh! Maybe try Yoga or Pilates!! They're really fun :)

If you have bad knees I would avoid Zumba classes though, I don't even have bad knees and Zumba KILLED my knee for 3-4 days after every class! It's very high impact, so I had to quit :( :(
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote