Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #1 
heythatsme

New sorority question

I currently have 6 females in my brand new sorority and 1 of them is in a breeder trap because she is substantially bigger than the others and was acting VERY aggressive when they were floating in their cups. The largest one that is free-swimming at the moment is bullying the others a bit. (the smallest one especially, she's less than half the size of the biggest one and maybe 1/3 the size of the one in the breeder net and is missing a bite sized chunk of her tail fin) I was going to leave my big one in for a week to let her acclimate and calm down. She's stopped flaring but I was going to play it safe and leave her in for good measure. Do you think it would stop the bullying by the current large one if I put another one in since she appears to have calmed down for the most part or would I just be making things worse?
heythatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 AM   #2 
metalbetta

With my sorority, size didn't really seem to matter when it came to aggression. It usually all depends on your girls' personalities.

You're definitely going to see everyone bullying one another for the next couple of weeks, so it's perfectly natural. I would let her out and see what happens. If she's separated too long, she'll probably end up being the bullied one. I know it sucks to watch, but it's probably better to let them get their aggression out, and if something gets out of hand, break it up. Just keep a close eye on them.
If you have one or two that are still being super aggressive after that two week period, take the meanie out. At least temporarily. I had that problem with Daiquiri (one of my smallest) ripping the others to shreds. I gave her a "time out" in a one gallon tank for about a week. I put her back in, and now she gets along just fine.

The whole "setting up the sorority" process is annoyingly difficult, but it'll be definitely worth it in the end. :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #3 
Ajones108

heythatsme - What size is your tank?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:37 AM   #4 
heythatsme

My tank is 29 gallon. I have plenty of low and high plants (all fake) and a huge rock decoration in the middle that breaks up line of sight across the tank. And part of my problem is that all I've seen is chasing and no nipping but my smallest girl's tail fin is shreds. I ended up taking her out and putting her in her own 2.5 gallon (heated, filtered) until her fins heal up (and hopefully she grows a little) Maybe I'll release Trouble (my big, aggressive one) in the morning.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #5 
metalbetta

Trouble... haha I love that name!

In a 29 gallon you could probably add several more females to spread out the aggression even more. I know 6-8 is the limit for a 10 gal, and that's already overstocking a bit. With sororities its better to overstock than understock though.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #6 
heythatsme

Ok. Well I ordered 4 more off of aquabid that'll get added later this week. I released Trouble and she was true to her name. I let her out at night and turned out the lights (I'd heard that would help) When I came back from work today she was pacing the top and the other 5 were all hiding in various places and when they came up for air she would chase them for a full minute and bite at their tails and bodies. So... My littlest one only has the tiniest shreds of her tail fin left and so is in her own tank with some nutrafin in the water and trouble is back in the breeder net. I figure I will let the little one heal (and grow a little) and then re-introduce her and maybe give trouble a second chance after the new 4 and my little one are all in and settled in and see if any of the new ones will put up even the smallest fight to get her to back off. Sound like an OK plan?