Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #1 
Panthera

*Emergency* Adamu jumped the Divider!

I was afraid of this - -" About 10 minutes ago while I'm on the computer I hear a "plop" in Polaris and Adamu's newly divided 10 gallon, and immediately I thought the worst. But they could have jumped the divider right? The water was way down past it and the divider was pretty much touching the tank lid. Wrong. I walk over to see Adamu's side empty, and with horror I look next store to see him and Polaris squaring off. I immediately grabbed a net and got whoever I could, (Polaris), and put him in the plastic cup I got him in. I honestly don't know how it happened, but luckily I don't think either of them are seriously hurt, although Polaris took a large chunk out of Adamu's tail.

I have about a 1.5 gallon I'm going to put Polaris in for now, but I'm afraid to put him back in the 10 gallon. I'll get pics of the divder, tank, Polaris flaring and Adamu's poor tail up as soon as I sort this out. Sorry If I'm overreacting, I'm just worried and slightly on edge. *sigh*
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #2 
Astro277

just make a divider and make it taller to where it touches the lid of your tank.
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #3 
Panthera

Okay well I think I was being a bit dramatic, it wasn't really an emergency, but it could have been if I hadn't have heard that splash. I have Polaris in a 1.5 Gallon container now on my desk, with a heater. He seems perfectly fine, and I can't really tell if any of his fins were torn or not, because he's a CT. Adamu is the one with a few chunks taken out though, a bit ironic because he was the one so eager to visit Polaris's side. TWICE! After I seperated them and got Polaris out, I walk back into the room to see Adamu on the other side - -"

I know I shouldn't be mad at Adamu, it's not his fault, they are called Siamese Fighting Fish for a reason right? I'm just glad I was home and in the same room to break the fight up so quickly. If I hadn't have been, they'd probably both be dead :(

Anyway here is Adamu's tail, you can really see the damage when he flares. So sad, since I found out yesterday he actually IS a Halfmoon, only one day later his day becomes "this".

Here's a picture of their divider I took yesterday before I changed it so they couldn't see each other anymore. I took a black plastic binder and cut the front of, and stitched the black plastic onto the divider and poked holes through it, so it's basically just black now :D It works! Or worked.... It can't prevent jumping - -"

Also here is a pic of Polaris's temporary tank until I make the divider higher
and I think I'm going to use some glue, (What kind do you suggest?) to keep the divider in place, so no possible mishaps will happen.

Any suggestions for treating Adamu's fin would be appreciated! :D I already put some Aquiarum salt in both their tanks and did a 50% water change. Anything else? Thank you!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

Bummer, but that's one of the risks you take with a divided tank.:(

If it were me, I would probably put Adamu in the smaller tank to make more frequent water changes easier. Also, so salt treatment as well? Just an idea.

Good luck!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #5 
danifacetastic

This makes me paranoid. I've had my ten gallon divided for a week now. The water level is at least 2 inches below the divider and my bettas have never jumped before. They can't even see through the divider. Yet I'm STILL paranoid something will happen.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #6 
bettablue

maybe you could bring the water level down a little...
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #7 
TaylorW

Hmm, try some aquarium sealant or hot glue to hold the divider in place. Try dropping the water level 3-4 inches below the divider, just to be safe! Maybe that will work?
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #8 
animallover4lyfe

Hmmmm I have the same divider and have had them for a long time in seveal tanks. I don't think he would be able to jump that? Mine are filled to the top and mine still and haven't jumped that. My two in my 10 gallon flare like crazy at each other too so if they really wanted they probably could jump. Anyway I think you should check the gap between the wall and divider believe it or not Iv had many bettas squeeze through the cracks. I think if anything he probably figured out the crease and swam through ?
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #9 
Panthera

I think he may have been able to fit through the crease - -" I didn't think that was the case because it was like a Centimeter, but now that I think about it that seems most likely. I'm going to buy some Aquarium sealant and make sure the divider is glued to the tank so it won't happen again.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #10 
Waterbottle2

I've had this problem before aswell. They can also wiggle through underneath or through the side if the divider is not set properly
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote