Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #1 
Posaune

Possible Parasite

One of my bettas has a parasite (in all likely hood at least). He's a bit sluggish, color is fading a little bit, and while I was watching him today I saw something coming out of his anus. It looked like a snake tongue, forked, was red/clear (at the tips clear) and contracts in and out. I bought ANti-Parasite medicated food by jungle (fish won't eat it yet, but I"m hoping if I fast them for a day or two they will give up and eat it). I also put aquarium salt in the tank. Is there anything else I can do? Or is there a better suggestion? (I can't get a picture, it is back inside the betta but I described to a "t" what it looked like)

EDIT: the medications I have at the moment are : Melafix, Pimafix, and Rid-Ich (which says it treats Ich, and other protozoan, dinoflagellats, and fungal diseases). As far as I know, they won't help with parasites (tell me if I'm wrong).

Last edited by Posaune; 11-20-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #2 
Adastra

Definitely stick to medications containing the ingredients metronidazole and praziquantel. Rid-ich is likely malachite green based, which can be harsh on the fish's system, so you should avoid using it unless you're sure he has an external parasite infestation like ich or velvet. If the fish continues to refuse the food, I would return it to the store (or at least try to :) ) and get the Jungle Parasite Clear dissolving tablets--check the ingredients list for praziquantel and metronidazole to make sure you're getting the right medication.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #3 
Posaune

Thanks for the advice :) Hopefully he won't be very picky once he gets hungry.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #4 
Posaune

Well, an update is in order. I got my other betta to eat the food by soaking it in bloodworm blood for about 5-10 minutes (such picky eaters). I'll try it with the sick one next.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #5 
Chicklet

Sounds like you have the "Camalanus Parasite"
In all fairness "praziquantel and metronidazole" will more then likely be just a waste of time with this parasite.
This parasite is resistant to most everything on the market.

The only sure thing that will kill this worm is "Levamisole HCl powder"
Items for Sale
Experiences of Treatment

If one fish has this parasite them most likely everything has it, A simple drop of water is all it can take to transfer from one tank to another,
Dip nets, Gravel Vacs, hoses, buckets, even your hand, going from one tank to another without Proper disinfecting first.
It's sometimes referred to as "the Devils worm" because it oft times comes back months later despite proper dosing and can be difficult to eradicate. Fish that still shows any sign after treatment is best disposed off.

I should note" Some people myself included have found some betta's to not take the treatment to well.

Last edited by Chicklet; 11-21-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #6 
Posaune

Thanks for the advice, I"ll see how this goes and if nothing is changing (or changing fo rthe worse)within the next few days I"ll try and get my hands on that stuff.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #7 
Kribby

We had an outbreak fo this worm in the city where I live. It was complicated by not being able to get levamisole easily in canada... needless to say we did manage to get our hands on it, but alot of people lost quite a few good fish.

c. worms are just plain nasty and even my africans didn't fair too well. I wouldn't waste time with the other medications, they simply don't work as many people around here found out the hard way. Myself included.
Kribby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #8 
Posaune

I got fenbendazole, apparently the other stuff is not produced anymore. People have used fenbendazole and have had good results so I'll see :) Just gotta figure out the dosage. I'll probably does my other tank as well, just for precautions.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #9 
Kribby

levamisole is still produced, but it is going through clinical trials as a possible human medication. This makes it harder to get, but there are still some suppliers with it. Chicklet posted a link to a gentleman that also supplier us in Canada with it.

Not a bad price eaither. $5 for 100 gallons worth of treatment.
Hope the Fen works for you. It wasn't strong enough for our outbreak. But it is a decent med.

I would definately dose the other tanks too. This worm can spread by drops of water, nets, equipment, etc. The hard part is that it takes 3 months plus to see symptoms after infection. The worms you actually see are the females popping out to lay eggs. They are at least 3 month old at the point.

Also. The meds don't kill the worms, they are paralysed and are pushed out throught the digestive system. So it is important to vacuum the tank really well before and after treatment to remove the worms and the eggs before the fish eats them and becomes infected again. You should also retreat 3 weeks after the last sign of the worms. That is how long it takes for them to hatch.

Last edited by Kribby; 11-21-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Kribby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #10 
Posaune

So expensive, was $18 at petsmart =_= So mmuch cheaper on Dr.Fostersmith.com and free shipping, but I don't think I have the time to wait for it to come. Little Guy is very very lethargic :(

Well, if this stuff doesn't work, I'll definitely get the other from the link (I forgot about that link, but either way I wanted to get something today). Gonna be a spendy fix, but at least after this I"ll have it on hand *Sigh*

EDIT: This is more for myself (so I have it on hand) but this is a link for a dosing suggestion for fenbendazole.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/m...ndazole-19108/

Last edited by Posaune; 11-21-2010 at 04:12 PM.