Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #1 
TRISHIESfishie

I need some tips so please offer away!

I have had my Betta King since Jan. He never seemed to have any problems. About 2 weeks ago he started acting different, anyway he is on his 2nd day of a 10 day treatment. Well while trying to find out what was wrong with him, I realized I had been misinformed about many things. So I thought I would get his take (and my mindset) ready for him so that when he has recovered he has the best quality of life that I can give him.
Ok He is King, a veiltail.
His Tank : 3 gal cylinder
Heater: yes
Filter: yes (it's new to his tank and he did not like it so when he started acting sick I took it out. It will be back in his tank before he is)
He also as a pump that just adds air (it came with the tank)

My questions:
(Most important)How often do I do a 100% water change for the 3 gallon.

He eats pellets. I was feeding him 3-4 am, and then again pm. I think it may have been too much so I am cutting him down to 2am and 2 pm. I have been reading about blood worms. Are the dried ones ok?

How do I not stress him out? I have been bothering him alot lately because he has been sick and it freaked me out when he wouldn't move.

How many drops of stress coat should I use for the 3 gal? The directions is 1 tsp per 10 gal. Can I use it with every water change?

That is all I can think ok for now.
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #2 
a123andpoof

Okay for water changes it is recomended to do a 25% once a week along with full water change once a week. I do it a little less, cause well it just doesn't get that dirty. (please don't give me grief about it. He is healthy and happy) With a filter though I don't know. I don't have one.

2 in the am and 2 pm is good. Its what I feed mine. And then have a skip day where he has no food.

Probally just let him rest a while. I don't do much with my fish as they all perfer to be left alone. Maybe just talk to him, and keeps hands and stuff out of tank. That might help.

Water conditioner I use like 3-5 drops. It may be a little much. But as far as I know to much is better then to little, and doesn't hurt them.

Anyways I hope this helps and most of it is what I was told when i first joined.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

In a filtered 3gal tank I would make twice weekly 50% water changes to maintain water quality
Without a filter-twice weekly-1-50% and 1-100%

What kind of filter do you have-Bettas don't need filters- but it can help you more by decreasing amount of water changes in small tanks-by having a filter you also can establish the nitrogen cycle and this give you wiggle room so to speak when life happens and you miss a water change

Filters also come with problems for some Betta-not all- but some do not tolerate the water movement and some can have fin problems related to the filtration/water movement all depending on how strong the water flow
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #4 
FishyFriend1

for freeze dried they are fine. But they can cause constipation. Make sure you only feed freeze dried as a treat and has a day of fasting without food to reduce the risks of constipation.
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #5 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
Okay for water changes it is recomended to do a 25% once a week along with full water change once a week. I do it a little less, cause well it just doesn't get that dirty. (please don't give me grief about it. He is healthy and happy) With a filter though I don't know. I don't have one.

2 in the am and 2 pm is good. Its what I feed mine. And then have a skip day where he has no food.

Probally just let him rest a while. I don't do much with my fish as they all perfer to be left alone. Maybe just talk to him, and keeps hands and stuff out of tank. That might help.

Water conditioner I use like 3-5 drops. It may be a little much. But as far as I know to much is better then to little, and doesn't hurt them.

Anyways I hope this helps and most of it is what I was told when i first joined.
My tank stays extremely clean. Even before I got the filter (only had it a few days). I am very proud of King for his cleanliness. Thanks for the info about the water conditioner.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #6 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
In a filtered 3gal tank I would make twice weekly 50% water changes to maintain water quality
Without a filter-twice weekly-1-50% and 1-100%

What kind of filter do you have-Bettas don't need filters- but it can help you more by decreasing amount of water changes in small tanks-by having a filter you also can establish the nitrogen cycle and this give you wiggle room so to speak when life happens and you miss a water change

Filters also come with problems for some Betta-not all- but some do not tolerate the water movement and some can have fin problems related to the filtration/water movement all depending on how strong the water flow
Hello! I didn't want to bother you again wuth more questions and here you are helping me again :D side note King is doing much better! he actually looked hungry tonight! Anyway the filter is a Tetra Whisper Internal Filter, 1-3 gal. It doesn't really have cause much of a current. And the tank has an aeration (I think that is what it is called) system, where the outside pump pushes air down the tubing through a white stone (thing), then air is pushed to the top of the tank and a ripple of bubbles spread across the top. King has never had a problem with that. Infact it helps him to know when it's feeding time because I turn it off when it's time to eat.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #7 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFriend1 View Post
for freeze dried they are fine. But they can cause constipation. Make sure you only feed freeze dried as a treat and has a day of fasting without food to reduce the risks of constipation.
I would only be feeding him it because the protien is good for him right?

Sorry for the multiple messages. I just figured out how to multi quote.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #8 
Malvolti

I also use a tetra whisper 1-3. The current is actually quite low compared to most filters you can get. My boy actually flared at the filter when I first put it in his tank but now he treats it like a cave. I always find him hiding inside.

The tetra whisper also aerates so you don't technically need another aeration stone, although more don't hurt. I would just watch and see if your betta is annoyed by the stone or enjoys the stone, or if he doesn't care either way.

And yes, the freeze dried foods are good protien but can also carry parasites or cause bloating so limiting your betta to the occasional freeze dried treat is best. Try not to feed him freeze dried more than twice a week. Less is good but more can cause problems.

Last edited by Malvolti; 11-20-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #9 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
I also use a tetra whisper 1-3. The current is actually quite low compared to most filters you can get. My boy actually flared at the filter when I first put it in his tank but now he treats it like a cave. I always find him hiding inside.

The tetra whisper also aerates so you don't technically need another aeration stone, although more don't hurt. I would just watch and see if your betta is annoyed by the stone or enjoys the stone, or if he doesn't care either way.

And yes, the freeze dried foods are good protien but can also carry parasites or cause bloating so limiting your betta to the occasional freeze dried treat is best.
I took out the original aeration system when I added the filter but he seemed like he missed it. So I put it back in. He didn't seem to like the filter (or maybe he was trying to hide beside it?) so I took it out. Now that he is in treatment maybe he was just getting sick and didn't mind it. I put it back in the main tank and hopefully when he comes back to the main tank he won't mind because it will already be established.

YIKES about the parasites. I think I may pass then thank you
Old 11-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #10 
Malvolti

I wouldn't worry about getting parasites from freeze dried food, it's extremely rare. It's just one more reason to limit how much you give your guy.

As for the filter, the suction cups fut it at a perfect distance from the back of the tank for them to swim behind and hide, if he isn't feeling well that may be what he was trying to do.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote