Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #21 
puppyrjjkm

I'll join in here! We've had horses for about 8 years now, since we moved to Montana. We have 3 boys, sorrel gelding named Vegas, bay gelding named Joe, and my horsie a paint gelding named Pecos. We ride western and just normally ride on the weekends. Just not much currently because it's about 2 degrees outside! :( So here are some pictures. The last one is of Pecos and I, one of my senior pictures :)

All Three

Vegas

Joe being silly

Pecos and I
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #22 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your horses are beautiful! I love the pic of you and Pecos.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:14 AM   #23 
Neelie

^^^ ditto. the pic of you and pecos is absolutely SWEET!
i wish i had one of me like that!
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #24 
Learn To Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg0181 View Post
Sorry I haven't been back! You all have lovely horses. I don't have my own, so I kind of deal with other people's issues, but it's infinitely better than not riding at all.

And Drift, I totally understand about saddle fit being an issue...I have discovered most saddles don't fit the horses they're on. But people don't want to hear that when they dropped $1200 for the saddle...

I've used hackamores, but don't like them. IMO a mechanical hackamore is one of the harshest tools you can use on a horse, but it is severely underappreciated because it has no mouthpiece. It kills me to see people wrenching on those things going round a course. I have seen pulling/leaning problems vanish when I switch to a loose ring or french link, instead of going harsher. Not to criticize anyone--any bit is useful if in good hands!

I'll have to take some photos of the horses I ride currently!
I agree...if you don't know how to use it right. I had to re-learn how to use my hands when I used it, but if you use it right it's gentle. You can't really do dressage in it because of the constant pressure and that doesn't work, but if you have light hands and don't hold it works well without being very harsh at all IMO. The bit that I had/used for jumping recently is much worse IMO and he absolutely hates it, and ignores it by making his neck all stiff so he can't feel it. It's just that he has to have a bit that less experience riders can control him in, because he is a lesson horse and other people who aren't used to him ride him. I hate it though, and my instructor's seeing it doesn't work. Only me and one other person are able to ride him in a snaffle is the problem, but I say that if they can't then they shouldn't ride him :/ . I think part of the reason he started not liking the hackamore is that the other people who rode him didn't use it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg0181 View Post
Oh and Learn to Fly, your hands are low, but your leg position o/f is nice. All my years of riding and I still put my leg too far back, which is not a big deal over small fences, but always screws me up at 4'+. Yours are perfect!!
Louie's got a very short neck and regular reins so unfortunately my reins can get aweful long with them. I hate it, because it messes up my dressage, but I'm working on it! I have never even jumped 3' but riding bareback is definitely why my legs are so good. My old instructor, who used to own the farm, started everyone out riding in bareback pads and wouldn't let anyone ride in saddle until their legs were steady enough. I didn't ride in a saddle for about 3 years and then voluntarily rode completely bareback for another year. When I started riding in saddle, it was like learning to ride all over again and it was so hard. Now I'm equally good at both, but each makes something harder. When I'm in saddle it's easier to carry my hands because I'm up higher, and it's harder when I'm bareback. But when I'm in saddle, I sometimes brace in my stirrups if he pulls, and then lose my balance when the same thing happens when I'm bareback. Doing both makes me realize what I'm doing wrong so I can correct it. Anyway, I was just walking around bareback the other day and I realized how my legs didn't move at all. So ride bareback if you can, it takes getting used to but it'll make you a better rider and when you get used to it you'll want to ride bareback all the time :D
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #25 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks DQ and Neelie! I really like that picture too :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #26 
ThePearlFish

I don't have a horse of my own, but I hope to one day. I restarted riding lessons again and am going to start tomorrow! :) beautiful horses and great riding guys!
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's a shame that people use things the wrong way and end up hurting or traumatizing a horse.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #28 
MMK

Hello all! I thought I should drop by and share too. I've been riding for about 15 years and have owned my wonderful horse for the last 5! I live in Canada and show on the A circuit there. I've done hunter and jumper, but my horse is an amazing hunter, so that is what I currently do. Although, I'm not really your "normal" hunter as I dabble in dressage, eventing and just love to gallop out in the fields with her. As well, I'm just starting to learn some western on another horse and hope to try to barrel race one day! Sorry for the pic spam, but I love to share! :)

Here she is:

With her buddies:

Showing:

At home:

Just for fun, my barn owner has been letting me try to ride her ex-barrel horse. Boy do I have a thing to learn about Western. I couldn't even put the cinch on right!!

Last edited by MMK; 11-26-2010 at 08:51 PM.
MMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:13 AM   #29 
Neelie

^^^ MMK, you and your horse look like ONE UNIT. amazing. ye two fit so well together and ye both have a beautiful style no matter what ye do together!!!! Im so jealous you have no idea... your horse has a gorgeous way of presenting herself and her jumping style is perfect... you really give her air and space to do her thing too... i havent seen such harmony in quite a while tbh....
because of all that above i think you would LOVE and do very well in western riding.
i could go on and on and on bout ye two lol
ill stop now ha
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #30 
MMK

Thanks so much for the kind words Neelie! I have been so lucky to have the opportunity to work with my lovely horse for the last 5 years. We certainly have had our ups and downs, but we have come out the better for them! I love sharing photos of her, so I'm glad you enjoyed them. :)
MMK is offline   Reply With Quote