Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #1 
rumblenbronx

Wink My new Bettas and their NEW Divided tank.

HI my name is Ashley, and my boyfriend and I have recently become fish freaks. lol
We got bettas as starter fish to see if we can even care for BIGGER fish. haha and now i am addicted.

Yesterday we went to our local pet shop "PetTraders" for a bigger tank for our one betta, and we came out with a 10 gallon tank, plants, rock, and a NEW Crown tail betta.

I just wanted to see what everyone thought of my tank and my fish.
( my pictures are awful because I took them with my phone)

Rumble = Blue CT
Bronx = Red and White VT
rumblenbronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #2 
rumblenbronx

also so everyone knows.
My tank is not filtered or heated.

I plan of do waters changes every second day and yeah. let me know anything else that I need to do!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #3 
Neelie

lovely tank. it looks really good!

first off, with a tank that size, if you dont cycle, you can do 100% water changes maybe every 8 days, if you cycle you could put it down to 30% each week. (you'll need a good filter though)
i would try cycle if i were you :) saves you work.

also, you'll need a heater(adjustable)... bettas NEED heaters unless you live in a really warm country... your water should always be around 75 - 77 degrees F. best get a thermometer you stick on the glass too of course.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #4 
rumblenbronx

oh okay yeah forsure. I was thinking of getting a heater but at the pet stores they say you don't need anything but a bowl. hahaha. I just dont know what to get really or how to work everything.

I just have a quick question that maybe you can answer.I just put my fish in that tank lastnight, and i woke up this morning and the water is already slightly cloudy!!!

what can I do to fix this, or do i need to just change a percentage of the water daily?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #5 
Jupiter

Yeah, you will definitely need a heater since winter is fast approaching. Look for a 50 watt adjustable heater. Marineland stealth is a good one.

Cloudiness could be from not washing the gravel well. Anyway, if you don't have a filter, one 100% change every week will be fine.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #6 
Neelie

^^^ agree with Jupiter.
AquaOne is a really good brand and imo its not expensive either. but really you can get whatever brand you can caus i think there are no bad heaters out there anymore really... they are all fairly decent now-a-days.

your water is probably cloudy from the gravel....
dont worry.

have you used water conditioner??? its VERY important you get some water treatment. i recommend "Interpet fresh start".

so on your shoppinglist;

Water conditioner (if you have none. take fish out, add it accordingly to instructions, mix, and put fish back in)
Heater, adjustable
Stick on thermometer

keep us updated!
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #7 
Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelie View Post

Stick on thermometer
I wouldn't recommend a stick on thermometer. They tell you the temperature of the glass of the tank and not the water. I would recommend one that you place in the tank with a suction cup or the weighted ones that sit on the bottom.

I think it's a very nice tank. :) Your boys will be very happy. Keep an eye on that divider to make sure neither can get at each other. You would be surprised how high they can jump and such smalls gaps you can fit through. Also keep an eye out that those plastic plants don't catch their fins and tear them up.

Any adjustable heater will work fine. Just don't buy the one that is preset to a certain temperature. I have several Hydor Theo's and I think they work great and are fairly priced.

I use Prime for water conditioner as it's more condensed and saves me money in the long run. There are plenty out on the market though!
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #8 
rumblenbronx

i have water conditioner and there is no way for those fish to get at each other. I made sure of that lol.
as for the plants, only one of them is plastic, the others are silk plants. I was actually talking to my friend who works at a pet store, and she said that I dont need a heater, so there is a lot of confusion as to what i "really need".
So i got a sticker thermometer and i will see what room temp. in my hosue is :)

the water is still cloudy but clearing up!

BTW we bought another fish lol. My boyfriend will be joining here ASAP!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #9 
Drift

Betta fish are cold blooded animals as well as being tropical species. They need warmth to aid in metabolism. I would listen to experienced betta keepers who are only trying to give you the best advice available.
It's the same concept of giving your reptile a heat source. So it can warm up and digest its food.
I've gotten a lot of poor advice from pet store employees, even resulting in a death of one of my reptiles. :(
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #10 
TaylorW

Get a heater. Pet store employees have a quota (at least my local pet store does) of how many animals they must sell in a month or they get fired. So of course they'll tell you some stupid things to make the animal seem easier to care for to make a sell.

My betta actually acts sick and sluggish when the water gets below 75 degrees. He literally will stop swimming and just sit there.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote