Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #1 
CatherineMPLS

New filter suggestions?

I'm thinking of getting a new filter for my tank; it's a 5 gallon Aqueon mini-bow. It does come with a built-in filter, but it takes up quite a bit of space -- not to mention it's space that would get a good amount of light if it weren't there.

Here was Version 1 of the tank

The filter was creating a bit too much current, so I added a prefilter on the intake tube... and then had to rearrange everything which is always a fun task!

So...Here is Version 2 (or maybe more like 3 or 4 )

But now, I'd like to get some sort of external filter to free up more space for the plants.

Without making any mods to the tank (such as cutting the plastic) I only have an opening of 2.75" for the filter itself.

Anyone know if there is a filter that will work with that space? Or any ideas on other alternatives to the built-in filter?

THANKS!!!

Last edited by CatherineMPLS; 11-17-2010 at 06:00 PM.
CatherineMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #2 
CatherineMPLS

SIDE NOTE: I've been putting a few fish flakes in the tank everyday to supplement the shrimps' diets - and I just saw my betta eating flakes that had fallen to the bottom! Who knew bettas could be bottom feeders?!

Since the Amanos are too big for him to eat, it's kind of fun to watch him and the shrimp "fight" over the flakes :)
Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #3 
CrankyFish84

Hey ! :)

I honestly can't think of an outside hanging filter that will fit in that without cutting plastic.
I may be wrong though...An all inside sponge filter would fit though I believe, and not be high current.
Hopefully someone else will come along with more experience with this tank style.

Also, I read Bettas can get digestive problems when eating flakes high in plant matter,
too much fiber for them to handle..mine ate a few when she was with danios, but spit them out..just watch yours doesn't start to prefer them over their meat based food. :)
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #4 
CatherineMPLS

Thanks for the heads up, I will definately keep an eye on him... and I'm sure the shrimp will appreciate it if I distract him while they scurry around after the flakes and algae wafers :)

For now he still seems to love his pellets and bloodworms :) He has a huge appetite!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

I have a couple of these filters (from this seller):

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUAEL-AQUARIUM-...#ht_2607wt_781

and can't say enough good things about them. I use them in my two 3 gallon bowls & they work like a charm!!!

With something like this, you wouldn't have to worry about the size of the opening! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #6 
CatherineMPLS

Thanks for the input!
If you don't mind my asking--
Does it use suction cups to attach on the inside of the tank?
And how big is the filter itself?

I really need to decide if I'd rather cut the plastic or sacrifice space inside the tank.... Hmmmm.... decisions decisions :)
Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineMPLS View Post
Thanks for the input!
If you don't mind my asking--
Does it use suction cups to attach on the inside of the tank?
And how big is the filter itself?

I really need to decide if I'd rather cut the plastic or sacrifice space inside the tank.... Hmmmm.... decisions decisions :)
Yes, it has suction cups, but you don't have to use them - I don't.

The filter is small - don't know the actual length, but I would guess 4 or 5 inches. Smaller than a sponge filter for sure! AND you can lay it down!!! You can control the flow and direct the flow also. Personally, I don't use all the stuff they show in the pic & it works GREAT, IMO! Has a small sponge inside I clean in used tank water every now & then.

Hope that helps!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #8 
chavist93

If you decide to cut a little plastic the azoo palm filter is great for a betta.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...LAID=529155734
chavist93 is offline   Reply With Quote