Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #1 
TaylorW

Frozen Food?

So I've started feeding my betta frozen food, and I'm wondering if I could just completely switch him over to that? Or do bettas need the occasional pellet to meet all of their nutritional needs?

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: Oh, do I need to let the cube thaw out? He seems just as happy to eat it cold, and most of it seems to melt when it hits the water. I'm just wondering if cold food would be bad for him. Thanks! :)

Last edited by TaylorW; 11-22-2010 at 10:11 AM.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #2 
JKfish

personally, I like thawing it in a bowl of tank water and then feeding the bloodworms, but your way sounds just as good.

Only feeding one frozen type of food might not give enough of what he needs, so I'd give him pellets and frozen as well.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #3 
TaylorW

I bought this "Freshwater Multi-pack" and it has for different types of frozen cubes in it. Would alternating cubes be enough to vary his diet? Or should I still give him a pellet every now and then?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #4 
JKfish

well what types of cubes are there? I'm guessing probably frozen BBS, bloodworms, maybe daphanie, etc?

If so, he probably has most the things he needs if you were to switch things out, but I like to be on the safe side and personally would feed a few pellets as dinner once a week or so
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

As long as your feeding a variety you should be good. I prefer to feed as much of a mix as possible so I feed frozen and pellets (and live eventually). I also make sure to keep like 5 different types of frozen.

How big are the blocks your feeding? Most frozen food blocks are enough to feed all 30 of my fish for one meal with leftovers.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #6 
FishyFriend1

I am considering feeding mine live brine shrimp.

A couple of days ago i posted saying is it okay to feed him sea monkeys from those little kits and apparently, (i didn't know this) it is acually just a fsncy name for brine shrimp.

ANYWAYS- back on topic
I feed mine a total variety of Frozen bloodworms, Pets-mart pellets, Flakes and FD brine shrimp. The only thing about the brine shrimp that i have is that the blocks are about the size of his body! I tried to get frozen foods from petsmart but the food came in 2cm x 2cm cubes!!! I have only one fish!!!!!
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #7 
FishyFriend1

Also frozen foods can introduce parasites to your tank (so i have heard).
You should feed yours a variety even though its a mixed pack he still might need a bit extra nutrients.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #8 
TaylorW

The pack has frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, and a "freshwater frenzy" flavor and a "emerald entree" flavor. The last two are combinations of different things such as different shrimps, bloodworms, spinach and other lettuces and algae, and some kind of vitamin stuff.

The blocks are pretty big, like the size of a sugar cube, maybe a hair bigger. I've just been scraping off pieces with tweezers to feed him. How long does it take for the opened food to go bad?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #9 
FishyFriend1

yes those are the one they sold at petsmart. If you keep the block frozen and closed in a bag it should last a while.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

You can either cut the block and thaw pieces at a time or thaw the whole thing at once and store it in the fridge for a few days. With only one fish I think cutting it is the best option.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote