Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #11 
celine18

i wouldn't split up corys, they like being together and wouldn't do well divided.

would red cherry shrimp eat algae?
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #12 
Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

Too much nutrients-are you adding plant food or just leaving left over fish food or both
I put 10mL of Aqueon plant food in once weekly. I remove all uneaten fish food. I cleaned the tank today including all the algae. I'm going to cut the photo period down a smidge and see if it comes back.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

How many and what kind of plants do you have and what kind of substrate are you using, what is the kelvin rating on the bulbs and how old are the bulbs?

Decreasing the photo period may only give the algae a boost and cause the plants to slow their growth....you may need to reduce the amount of plant food depending on the type and number of plants you have.

Also, by making a 50% water only change weekly before you add plant food is a good idea to get any plant food out that the plants didn't use so that the algae can't use it....this also depends on number and type of plants......

With some plants the left over fish food is all the plant food they need along with the livestock waste......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #14 
danifacetastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by celine18 View Post
i wouldn't split up corys, they like being together and wouldn't do well divided.

would red cherry shrimp eat algae?

So two in each divider would be too much?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #15 
celine18

yes, that would be heavily overstocking your tank! idk what kind of filter you have, but if you use this website (http://aqadvisor.com/) it'll tell you what kind of stress you'll be putting the filter under...i've been playing around with hypothetical cory stocking, and with just my one betta in a filtered 10g, i couldn't hardly put 4 cories in there. it'd be really hard with 3 bettas.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #16 
JKfish

danifacetastic: yes, in a ten gallon, 1 betta and 3-4 cories would be well stocked. 3 bettas and 6 cories would be waaaay overstocked, besides, they like to be in groups of 3 or more and they need room to swim, so two in each divider wouldn't be good for the cories or bettas.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #17 
danifacetastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by celine18 View Post
yes, that would be heavily overstocking your tank! idk what kind of filter you have, but if you use this website (AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor) it'll tell you what kind of stress you'll be putting the filter under...i've been playing around with hypothetical cory stocking, and with just my one betta in a filtered 10g, i couldn't hardly put 4 cories in there. it'd be really hard with 3 bettas.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think I'd be able to do that but the guy at the fish store was telling me I could put one catfish in each section or put a mollie or a platy in there but I thought it'd be too much. I'll be sticking to ADFs and inverts. Although after the death of my two ADFS I'm not going back down that road.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #18 
Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
How many and what kind of plants do you have and what kind of substrate are you using, what is the kelvin rating on the bulbs and how old are the bulbs?

Decreasing the photo period may only give the algae a boost and cause the plants to slow their growth....you may need to reduce the amount of plant food depending on the type and number of plants you have.

Also, by making a 50% water only change weekly before you add plant food is a good idea to get any plant food out that the plants didn't use so that the algae can't use it....this also depends on number and type of plants......

With some plants the left over fish food is all the plant food they need along with the livestock waste......
Sorry I've been busy and haven't been able to get back. I have two small anubias plants, and a java fern. Small gravel substrate. Two 40W bulbs 6500k. I'll get a picture up soon.

EDIT: Photo. The peacock ferns are no longer in there. I took them out once I found out they aren't aquatic.

Last edited by Apocalypse; 11-27-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

You have way too much watts over a 10gal tank unless you have CO2 and your plants really don't need CO2 or that high of watts....you may end up with an algae farm and green water....10gal with the species of plants you have-I would recommend 1-20w 6500k ...80w is too much.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #20 
Apocalypse

Ok, I'm officially an idiot. Here's how the story goes:

I buy a hood and light fixture for my tank, the light fixture is incandescent with two 25w sockets. Naturally, incandescent bulbs put out way too much heat and raise my tank temps too much. So I go searching for fluorescent bulbs to put in. No one carries anything that will fit. Not a single pet store in the entire city. So I get some at the hardware store. Each uses 10w of power but produce 40w of light. Me being an idiot, I think 10w of power each is just right. Derp.

Just went out and found some 10w bulbs (20w total) at Walmart and put them in, so we'll see if that helps. Would you recommend still laying off the plant food for a while?

I also just did a 100% change yesterday and cleaned the glass thoroughly. I went the lazy route and scooped my pleco out of my 55gal and put him in the 10gal for a day to clean off all the decor. He did a fantastic job.

Last edited by Apocalypse; 11-29-2010 at 03:55 PM.