Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

Catfish

SO the guy at the fish store said that a good tank mate for my bettas that would clean the bottom of the tank would be the small catfish. He said they like to be in pairs but do just fine on their own and it would be fine getting one for each section of my 10 gallon tank divided three ways and they would clean the gravel much better than ghost shrimp would. What do you think?

He also said it'd be okay if I wanted to put one guppy or one platy in there with each betta but I wasn't too sure about that. (Not in addition to the catfish)
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #2 
TaylorW

I think all of those fish are supposed to live in groups of 5 or will get too big for the small sections or will be attacked by the bettas.

Each section is only a hair over 3 gallons of water, which is way too small for any tank mates.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #3 
danifacetastic

Thats what I thought...I just wanted to make sure. I do have an ADF in one section and he's getting along fine with the betta. I had another one who was getting along fine but he kept getting into the divider with the betta with no tank mates who was more agressive and would nip at him and he died after a week. I plan on getting ghost shrimp though.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #4 
TaylorW

Yeah, you could do shrimps if you gave them lots of hiding spots and plants! I would definitely make sure your tank was well planted so your betta and shrimp wouldn't see each other too often.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #5 
crowntail lover

I agree. Some shrimp would do just fine.. But Ghst shrimp tend to be aggressive towards fish if they dont feel comfortable in the tank.. So you should get more then 1 for each section and some hiding places and some plants will lower the aggression towards the Betta...
I have actually had a ghost shrimp shread one of my male Bettas fins before.. Of course thats when I didnt know much about them.. But the plants and hiding places will help. :]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote