Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #1 
Alex09

FAQ & Compatibility List

To help you guys out ;)

Can my betta have tankmates?
Absolutely! There are a few "rules" to follow though:
  • Fish must be peaceful. No aggressive fish such as tiger barbs, angelfish, and chichlids
  • Fish must not resemble another betta. So nothing with long flowing fins and bright colors (such as guppies or mollies).
  • Fish must be tropical. Bettas are tropical fish and need temps of 78-80F.
  • Your tank must be big enough to support multiple fish. A cycled tank of at least 10 gallons (undivided) is recommended too house a betta with other fish.

Will EVERY betta be able to have tankmates?
No. Unlike many other fish, bettas tend to have their own unique personalities. Some are very placid, others are timid, and some are just evil. Whether or not you can have tankmates depends on the betta.

Will my betta be lonely if he doesn't have tankmates?
Absolutely not. Bettas are not social fish. They may tolerate tankmates but they wont love you for it.

Can a betta have tankmates in smaller tanks?
Depends on how small it is. I wouldn't recommend any other fish in a tank smaller than 10 gallons, but if you have a 5 gal, or even a 2.5 gal, you may be able to squeeze in shrimp or a snail.

Can a betta live with goldfish?
No! why?
  • Goldfish are coldwater fish.
  • Goldfish are messy. They produce ALOT of ammonia. When it comes to goldfish, a rule of thumb is 10 gallons per fish.
  • Goldfish may get too big

What are the best proven tankmates for bettas?
Bottom dwellers such as corydoras catfish and otos do best. They stay out of the bettas way and are very peaceful. Bettas have also been known to get along quite well with snails.

Other tankmates?
There are many other types of tankmates available. Some people have been successful with these fish, others have not. Use at your own discretion.
  • African Dwarf Frogs
  • Shrimp (your betta may eat these)
  • Danios
  • Neon Tetras - Schooling fish. Can be nippy
  • Black neon tetras - Schooling fish, can be nippy
  • Harlequin rasboras
  • Platies
  • White Cloud Mountain minnows - Generally prefer cooler water, but success has been noted.
  • Cherry Barbs
  • Zebra Danios
  • Wild type/feeder guppies

Unacceptable tankmates:
These fish are known to be aggressive and can kill your betta
  • Cichlids
  • Angelfish
  • Chinese Algae Eaters
  • Tiger Barbs
  • Goldfish
  • Common Plecos (grow to large!)
  • Gouramis - Close cousins to the betta. They are aggressive with each other
  • Red Tailed Black sharks

FEMALE BETTAS
CAN be kept with eachother but only under special conditions. Check out our various threads on sororities.

If anyone else has fish that they have successfully kept, or has fish to warn members to stay away from, please post here! I want us to have a comprehensive list all in one thread.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #2 
JKfish

I'm a bit iffy on the harlequin rasboras. I had them in a tank with a betta, and had to remove him for agression. My other betta was a little lamb, but they were always stressed, pale, and skittish. Without bettas, they're absolutely amazing. If you decide to go with harlies, I highly advise a larger tank (20 or so gallons - not ten gallons) so they have more room to swim away, and plenty of areas to hide

also, this should be stickied :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #3 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I'm a bit iffy on the harlequin rasboras. I had them in a tank with a betta, and had to remove him for agression. My other betta was a little lamb, but they were always stressed, pale, and skittish. Without bettas, they're absolutely amazing. If you decide to go with harlies, I highly advise a larger tank (20 or so gallons - not ten gallons) so they have more room to swim away, and plenty of areas to hide

also, this should be stickied :)
Which is why they are on the "potential/ maybe" list. I have come across others who kept both fine with no probs.

And yeah it def should be stickied! :D
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 AM   #4 
baylee767

Agreed, this needs a sticky.

Also, great post lots of info. For those who don't know, don't mistake african dwarf frog for african clawed frog, which may eat your Betta.

Not mentioned in the post, but you should make sure that any new fish you get can survive with minimal current.

Good post you should do more like it!

Last edited by baylee767; 11-24-2010 at 12:59 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #5 
TaylorW

Ooh, can someone sticky this please? There are too many people that ask if they can have an "algae eater" in a 5 gallon, or keep a betta and a goldfish in a 10 gallon!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Nicely written and agree needs to be a sticky.......good job.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #7 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Good job Alex. =]
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I would also make a note that when your looking at a community tank RESEARCH the requirements of the other fish. Just like Bettas have their own special needs any other tank mate has its own needs as well and you have to be able to do your best to make everyone happy.

For instance snails and shrimp need hard water, especially snails. If you have super soft water don't get a snail. Danios (Zebra danios as well), WCMM, and inverts all do best at lower temps around the mid 70s, even lower. You have to decide whether your willing to shorten the lifespan of your tank mates or potentially make your betta sluggish in choosing your temp if your going to use those fish that prefer colder water.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #9 
baylee767

http://bettafishies.com/3.html

I found a link that shows a compatability table. Doesn't really talk about info such as tank size, temp, etc. but it does show which fish can live with bettas, which can't, and which are kinda iffy. EDIT: Now that I look at it some of the info is a bit off... but most of it is okay
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta tankmates