Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2010, 02:25 AM   #1 
kamez

pet fish in the wild

who thinks that all pet fish should be released into their natural habitats? on grounds that the natural ecosystems will be more friendly n healthier to them. n more space
kamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:17 AM   #2 
TaylorW

Bettas have been naturally selected to be the way they are, and so have many other species of fish. You will never see a pet store betta in the wild because it was simply not made to survive there. As soon as you released a brightly colored halfmoon betta into the wild, it would be immediately eaten or be beaten up by all of the wild bettas.

In short, bad idea. That's like releasing a Chihuahua into the forest and hoping it rejoins the wolf pack.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #3 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
In short, bad idea. That's like releasing a Chihuahua into the forest and hoping it rejoins the wolf pack.
Lol great description! Except Chihuahuas are the only breed of dog whose anscesters aren't wolves; They're ancesters are a species of Mexican wild dog
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #4 
Jupiter

What TaylorW said. Also, releasing any fish you have willynilly into the wild is a VERY bad idea. Especially because the lakes here are waay different than the ecosystem most fish in pet stores come from. Furthermore, assuming they do survive, there's also the risk of introducing an invasive species, which could harm the current biodiversity.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

Agree with Jupiter.

There is a reason that most wild Betta species are brownish in color.. because brightly colored fish get eaten.

Releasing domestically kept animals into the wild is a death sentence.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #6 
Malvolti

Technically in the case of most "decorative" fish species the tank is their natural ecosystem. Most have been bred for generations in captivity to look the way they do. I agree with the above posters who say that they would die pretty fast in the wild.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #7 
TaylorW

Baylee, that's interesting about the Chihuahuas! I never thought about them coming from Mexican wild dogs, but that makes a lot more sense!

I saw a tv show saying they came from fennec foxes, but that really confused me since fennec foxes live in the Sahara, and who would really bother chasing these little guys down through the desert? XD
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #8 
bloo97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Agree with Jupiter.

There is a reason that most wild Betta species are brownish in color.. because brightly colored fish get eaten.

Releasing domestically kept animals into the wild is a death sentence.
I agree, bettas (if they were released) would be picked off by predators because bright colors are easy to spot. But that doesn't mean you can't make your tank like a natural pond from asia. If you add plants, give them space, and some light and they can have their own little betta pond in your tank! :D
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:45 AM   #9 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
Bwhaha cracked me up! but a very good comparison.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote