Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #1 
beckydelanee

Zoomed Bettatherm

has anyone tried it?

i currently have a 1-gallon glass tank

looks like this:

i want to get a heater for my CT because i moved him to a different location with a sturdy-er table which is now by a window and it gets super cold in canadian's winter.
beckydelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #2 
beckydelanee

and yes, i understand my tank is too small
he was kept in a 1/2 gallon tank due to space limitations when i moved out and lived in a house with 5 girls
and now that i'm living in a bachelor (not much bigger than my room before i moved and i'm located in the corner of the building which consists of windows).
Old 11-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

If u can't get him a bigger tank cause of money limitation's, it's ok.
But let me suggest, some people go out and purchase a sterilite tub to house their betta in temporarily, it's safe to heat the tub too. But if ur like me and would like to enjoy watching ur fishy friend swimming around, I never like the sterilite tub idea cause of that reason. My only suggestion would be to save up, we recommend a 2.5 g minimum.

So for now as long as u keep up with the necessary water changes ur set-up is fine.
Hopefully someone more experienced will come and tell u how much that is.

And it's not totally recommended to keep ur tank near a window, in direct sunlight cause of the algae problem's that could develop and also that Betta's are not big fans of light.
They can take some light but not all day/all the time, just enough to create the day/night cycle.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #4 
JKfish

Hmm, the betta therm is basically a heating pad you stick in the bottom of your tank, no? If so, then it's preset, and not that powerful. It will probably only increase your water temperature a few degrees higher than the room temp. I'm pretty sure you can use heaters inside of tanks that are smaller than recommended, though I'll have to double check. (edit: it's fine) If so, you could buy a 10 watt heater (good for about 2 gallons) and use that, and if you ever want to upgrade to something like a 2.5 you could still use that heater.

BTW, by a window is fine, my only concern is that it'll be more subsceptable to temp swings by a window and that when he is in direct sunlight the heat can build up too high and be bad for his health.

Last edited by JKfish; 11-22-2010 at 05:25 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #5 
Jupiter

That heater is one that will only raise the temperature a few degrees above the ambient water temperature, which is okay if you're living somehwere warmer...but if you're like me and your room is in the 60's it will definitely not do any good.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #6 
beckydelanee

thank you guys for replying; i've thought about the window situation. i'm just going to have to keep the curtain closed for most of the sunlight which is just mainly in the evenings when i get home from work

i just went out to purchase the tetra 2-15 heater and i read in other threads that it works pretty well.

my next water change is in 4 days so i'll try it out then and keep my betta in his old home for a day

(i do a 100% water all the time. on the 4th day, i put my betta into his old home, wash the gravel, his plants in hot hot hot water, scrub his tank with hot water let it dry overnight. then in the morning, i put the gravel back with the plants, fill the water that has been sitting out for 4 days and add water conditioner and put my betta back when i get home from work)

thanks for your help guys
Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #7 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckydelanee View Post
thank you guys for replying; i've thought about the window situation. i'm just going to have to keep the curtain closed for most of the sunlight which is just mainly in the evenings when i get home from work

i just went out to purchase the tetra 2-15 heater and i read in other threads that it works pretty well.

my next water change is in 4 days so i'll try it out then and keep my betta in his old home for a day

(i do a 100% water all the time. on the 4th day, i put my betta into his old home, wash the gravel, his plants in hot hot hot water, scrub his tank with hot water let it dry overnight. then in the morning, i put the gravel back with the plants, fill the water that has been sitting out for 4 days and add water conditioner and put my betta back when i get home from work)

thanks for your help guys
You might want to increase the frequency of the water changes, just to be safe. I had my fish in a 1/2 gallon tank for about a month, and I found that I needed to change the water pretty much everyday (I changed the water when water tests showed that I needed to). Sometimes I could get away with two days.

I'd change the water every two or three days in your 1 gallon tank to avoid unnecessary stress on the fish. Depends how much you're feeding, as well. You never really know what you need until you test the water, though. It's not going to kill your fish or anything if you keep doing changes every 4 days, but it may weaken his immune system.

I'm not sure that it's necessary to let the tank dry overnight before adding your fish back, since you're adding conditioner to the water anyway. I don't see any problem with it, though! I like the extra precaution you take by letting the water age for four days then conditioning it! XD

Definitely a great idea to test out the heater. I was so paranoid about mine, haha. I stared at the temperature all day when testing it out.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #8 
anglnarnld

You should get a 50 watt heater, Ik it sounds like alot but It actually keeps at a wonderful temp! I got it in my .6 gallon and it was the first time ever that my betta made a bubble nest!! It was huge~!! Haha Plus whenever you upgrade to a larger home you can still use it! ;))
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglnarnld View Post
You should get a 50 watt heater, Ik it sounds like alot but It actually keeps at a wonderful temp! I got it in my .6 gallon and it was the first time ever that my betta made a bubble nest!! It was huge~!! Haha Plus whenever you upgrade to a larger home you can still use it! ;))
Sorry but your betta is gonna be soup if you use a 50 watt in a .6 gallon tank (which is too small anyway).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #10 
anglnarnld

Well, he isnt soup. His really happy!!
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote