Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #1 
baylee767

Unhappy How Can I treat fin rot??? Please answer!!!

I just got macaryn 2 and aquarium salt to help treat my bettas fin rot. I'm going to add half a packet (I read instructions) to my 2.5 gallon tank. I'm also going to do 100% daily water changes while he heals, if that sounds okay. I also have AQ salt, how much should I add to speed healing time? PLEASE answer, I don't want him to suffer.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #2 
nomoretickets

are you sure you bought the right medication for the cause of his fin rot? i ask this because there are two variations of the medicine you bought, 1 for gram positive bacteria and one for gram negative bacteria. if you use the wrong one nothing is going to happen. If i were you i would do 10 days of 100% water changes dosing 1 tsp per gallon of aquarium salt, and see how that works. it has worked wonderfully for my betta with fin rot.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #3 
Malvolti

What nomoretickets said, start with daily water changes and Aquarium salt. You shouldn't medicate if you don't have to or you risk creating antibiotic resistant strains. More often then not daily water changes and salt will cure just about anything.

After a couple days if your betta is still getting worse then try the medication. As nomoretickets mentioned there are 2 kinds of Maracyn. You can (and probably should) use both at the same time if you don't know which fin rot you have (gram positive or gram negative).
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #4 
nomoretickets

they also have a wide spectrum version of maracyn that is specifically formulated to do what malvolti is suggesting.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #5 
baylee767

nomoretickets: I'm trying your plan and I just finished his water change. Hopefully things will get better!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can use Maracyn 1 and 2 together.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote