Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #1 
wallywestisthebest333

Talking My Piece-O-Fish Cycling Log! =]

Alright guys! =]

I DID IT!!! The Piece-O-Fish is FINALLY in the tank and the ball is FINALLY rolling! <3

When I tested my tank yesterday it said that the water had no ammonia and everything else was cool so I started today! =]

The best thing is that I've got tons of cut up airline tubing in there wrapped in pantyhose as well for tank-seeding material! <3

I'll use it to cycle the 2 gallon for Firedrake! <3

Aaaaaaaaaaand I'll sell some of it to kids on campus. :P

I'm actually thinking of starting an aquarium club! =]

BUT ANYWAY here's where I get all official with my Log :P

Cycler's Log, Day 1, November 29th 2010

I let my water sit for 24 hours to gas and generally adjust.

Ammonia (N03/N04): 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Cycler's Log, Day 2, November 30th 2010

Today I cut a piece of fish about 1x1 (though I had quite some difficulty doing so, what with my vegetarian disposition) put it in the toe of a pair of pantyhose, double wrapped it, then sank it into my tank.

It's as if the ghost of the talapia's past, lives on in the small chunk of the creature I've deposited into my betta's future home. Intriguing and most unsettling indeed.

I shall retire to my studies for the evening and test the water for substances tomorrow evening. After all, the watched pot never boils.

I hope you all are enjoying the theatrics of this! XD I need to practice my Role Playing! :P
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #2 
TaylorW

Hehe, I am enjoying the theatrics, I've never heard of tank cycling described so artistically! :P Keep us posted, I want to know how it works out for you! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #3 
Jupiter

An aquarium club would be cool! But yikes, won't that fish smell terrible after a few days?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #4 
baylee767

Yes it does smell... my dad cycled the saltwater tank with some shrimp for just a week (wasn't fully cycled but he's impatient XD) And it was sooo smelly!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Oh man it smells?!?!?! D:
I was told it wouldn't... can't remember by whom though. :[
I hope it doesn't smell tonight. :[

Well, I'd write more to my log but I discovered that my roommate had turned the power strip with all the aquarium stuff plugged in off on Monday night.

I discovered this a 2:00 AM this morning. You'd think she'd have told me some time before then or plugged it back in before she went to school.

I got pretty upset but didn't say anything. I'm glad I didn't though, because I totally understand. I've been so busy that I haven't slept (well, 7 hours this morning but after two nights of no sleep....). so I could see how she' forget.

I just REALLY wish she hadn't. :[

The water was probably really cold. It smelled a bit but nothing foul. I still didn't want to put my hand in though. :/

She unplugged it because the filter was making weird noises. I ended up fixing it by pulling up the intake for a bit then putting it back down to restart.
Glad I didn't have to put my hands in! XD

When I get back home tonight I'll test the water, add my TSS (I'm pretty sure there's enough ammonia for it to survive now. =] ), do a water change if absolutely necessary and possibly sleep. maybe. If I have time. :/

When I'm done testing I'll decide if I need to start over or not. :/

Things were PRETTY NASTY when I saw my tank at 2:00 AM. :[ I'll be heartbroken if that doesn't clear up and Ive gotta start again. :[

Putting a positiv spin on things though... the way that chunk was decomposed at 2:00 AM I'm hoping the cycle will go rather quickly. =]

Thanks guys! =] I rather like the theatrics! <3 When I wrote the first log it was a fantastic way to relax and leave the day behind. <3
If I do start the Aquarium club I'll do it next semester. =] Who knows? If anyone got a betta for Christmas I might end up saving the little guy's life! =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 12-02-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Ok guys so no theatrics for this post quite yet. I'll start with a basic version of what's been going on then I'll go into detail.

So before I go any further I meant to say she unplugged my aquarium on Tuesday night... my mind wasn't completely with me at the time. :P

SO MOVING ON

December 2nd

I tested the water and it was over 4.00ppm and close to 8.0ppm!!! I did a 25% WC and it was still over 4.0ppm so I did another 25%. Then it read at either 1.00 or 2.00 ppm so I decided to add the newest bottle of TSS (that still had the expiration sticker on it, it was to expire next November).

I did that and then I realized that all the sponges in my tank were BLUE.

I wasn't really thinking when I bought pantyhose for cycling and I bought black ones. It only occurred to me after seeing how faded the pantyhose were and how blue all of my sponges were that it could be leaking dye.

8[ I decided to ignore this. I figure that when it cycles (IF it cycles) then I can just do a massive water change at the end, add new sponge inside the tank, leave the blue sponge in the filter alone for a while, wait for the new sponges to be seeded then chuck the blue one in the filter.

December 3rd

On the third I did another ammonia test and found that my ammonia was at 4.00 ppm! I was upset about this because the TSS I added can't survive above 4.00ppm. (at least this is what Tetra Co. told me)

I did a 25% water change and that seemed to lower the levels to 2.00ppm.

I felt relieved. I hoped my TSS was still alive.

December 4th

I've just completed my ammonia test and it seems it's above 4.0ppm.

I'm pretty upset about this.

I also added my other older bottle of TSS without thinking to change the water first. :I

I'm not the brightest cookie in the closet obviously. Common sense evades me in practical matters like science. :I Thus I'm changing my Major to a BA. :I

I'm about to do a 25% change. Though now I'm considering the possibility of just letting the tank sit. I mean that's what you're supposed to do anyway right?

Idk. :I Does anyone have an opinion on this?

also my piece-o-fish is starting to mold. :I

Now I won't clean it with bleach this time, but should I empty out my tank and start over? Mold scares the begeebies outta me. <:[

If anyone has any guidance they'd like to offer I'll take it! <3

I'll post a theatrical version when I have more time on my hands. XD I'm in the middle of the boys water change ( =] )and I'm doing a project atm ( :/ ).
Old 12-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

Ok so I knew my memory might've been a little foggy when I started this whole cycling process but I was in the middle of my final paper and I wasn't thinking too clearly. :P

I TOTALLY forgot to re-research everything before I started.

Thus I never saw THIS AWESOME THREAD about the raw shrimp cycle and now I feel like an idiot for doing those water changes. :/ oh well.

Guess this means I can just wait till tomorrow to take the piece of fish out. =] it usually reaches 4.0ppm or 8.0 ppm after one or two days. =]

I can also relax with all of my testing. XD

Thanks goes to julesAI for linking me that thread. =]

And the moral of today's story is: Don't try to finish a 10 page research paper on an obscure and difficult subject and cycle your tank at the same time. :P
Old 12-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #8 
JKfish

Don't worry about the mold, it'll happen. Just suck it off (with a turkey baster or something) as it appears... warning, the mold might smell like a P.O.S. During my first cycle, I forgot to remove the mold as I saw it, so when I finally did remove it, I think I gagged.

Personally, I like leaving the source of ammonia in, that way the benificial bacteria grows larger, sort of like if you were to have several fish in the tank constantly excreting ammonia.

Good luck on the cycle :D
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #9 
wallywestisthebest333

Well the fish is looking pretty snowy right now! XD

Thanks for the advice JKfish! :D

I don't have a turkey baster but I HAVE to go shopping tomorrow ( I hate the cold. :'{ ) So I can pick one up then =] I'm glad that the mold isn't a problem! XD

I freaked the last time I found mold in my tank. =P
Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #10 
baylee767

Glad you found a way to cycle your tank! I'd follow glassmouses instructions. For those who don't know, she said:

Quote:
1) Place raw shrimp in a knee-high pantyhose or cheesecloth. Hang in tank.

2) Test for ammonia daily until ammonia level registers close to 8ppm. It doesn't have to be exact but it does need to be high. This took several days.

3) Remove shrimp.

4) Test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates every other day until the levels read ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates less then 10. While the ammonia levels are high you will see the nitrites levels rise to a high level before the nitrates rise and the ammonia and nitrite levels come down.

5) When the levels reach ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 10 or less you can do a 50% water change and add fish. If you nitrate levels are higher then 10 but your ammonia and nitrites are zero you can do a larger water change (80%) and add your fish. The signal the cycle has been completed is when your ammonia and nitrites have returned to zero and you register nitrates in the water.

Do not do water changes until the cycle have been completed.

The process took approximately two weeks in my tanks.

Let me know if I need to clarify any steps of the process.
Good luck with the cycle!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, fish, log, piece of, shrimp