Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2010, 04:49 AM   #1 
Duncan13

My Breeding Project

Today I introduced my pair into the breeding tank and I hope they will breed soon. Here I will post on the project and the development of the fry. I'm so excited!
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #2 
Duncan13

I've released the female from the jar now, and they are both swimming in the tank. But it seems that weird things are happening. The two fish would normally flare when they saw eachother but when I put them in the tank, nothing happened. They just swam around minding their own buisness. The male prefers swimming at the bottom of the tank, hiding behind the filter, and the female swims at the top a lot. The female has gone over and nudged the male several times, and I think she wants to mate, but the male just swims away. What could be wrong?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

:o is she showing breeding bars? How long had you been conditioning them?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Can you tell us more about your breeding set-up

Sometimes you just have to give them time and

Sometimes you can over-expose them to each other and you need to put them in separate container so that they can't see each other for a couple of day and feed well with live or frozen food, neither should be in the spawning tank and located so that they can't see each other, water temps at 76F and the spawning tank at 80F- after 3 days drop both in the spawning tank together to shock them...they should start spawning within an the hour and no longer than 3 hours-this is what has worked for me with hard to spawn fish-you also have to have the tank set-up right for this to work as well-otherwise one may kill the other.....good luck
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #5 
Duncan13

Thanks, I will try that. I left the female in overnight, and when I woke up, nothing has changed. So I took the female out. I've conditioned them for a whole week. When I woke up, there was still no bubblenest. So should I leave the male in? Or take them both out then put them in at the same time 3 days later? This is the spawning tank it is 10 gallons:
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #6 
leeb62

Why don't you try putting the male in first and float the female in a jar or container in the tank. When the male makes a nest and you can see the female with her vertical bar and she isn't afraid of the male and is flaring at him you can release her into the tank. Oh and a good thing to add to your awesome tank setup is a hiding place you can get those pink little cave at wal-mart for about $3 its super good for the female betta to hide while the male is trying to court her. From my own experience if the female is being chase by the male and she goes hide she will get her vertical line backs meaning she wants to spawn, but if he chase her and she gets freaked out and shows the horizontal line for a long time I don't think your pair will spawn. Another thing is you can try covering the whole tank with with card board to make it dark for your betta this is something a close friend of mine told me, but I never used this method before.
leeb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Try some Indian Almond Leaves, the cave, and keeping it a bit darker.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #8 
leeb62

Yep just like Mr. Vamp said mine didn't breed until I turned off all the lights and only kept the little lamp light on. I guess most female bettas are afraid of the lights lol. Took my bettas 5 days in the plastic tub to spawn.
leeb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

I've had spawns with bright lights but they prefer not so bright lights. I use a little tank light from a 1 gallon over the tank (plus plastic wrap to keep it humid).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I would recommend that you add more plants....real is best- if not for the production of live food for the fry along with some common snails, also I would fill the tank up to the top with water as well-you want enough plants in the tank to work as a natural divider and this also helps to prevent premature egg drops-keep the pair apart and mass feed them and then drop them in the tank at the same time....don't worry about the bubble nest just provide something in the tank for him to use-he will build the nest once he has eggs in his mouth or during the courting process-lights don't matter one way or another on or off...when they are ready to spawn they will regardless.....and try to leave them alone once you put them in the tank...keep your distance and let nature happen....some nip and torn fins are normal.....just have plenty of space and places for the female to get away and rest...when she is ready she will approach the nest/male and signal to him she is ready......good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote