Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #1 
acloudconnected

Question Beginner Info for Planted Tank?

This site has been so helpful to me in getting my boys well, and getting things set up in so that they're as comfortable as two fish can be.

I've been pawing through these forums for weeks now admiring all your beautiful tanks, and have decided that I really want to learn more about moving to a live planted tank. Silk plants are fine, but I find myself oohing and aahing at your beautiful live planted tanks and I know that this is something I would love to explore.

That said, I wondered if anyone had some great beginner info you could point me towards. I know nothing whatsoever... so all this talk of CO2, and substrate is totally above my head. I need something that starts with ground zero glass bottom and helps you go from there.

Any suggestions/links to share? I appreciate your input.
acloudconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #2 
aleXander

Check this YouTube video out. All you need to know about how to make a planted tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHlGz4oJNU0
aleXander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Lights are the most important aspect of successful planted tanks...you want 6500-6700k and 10-40w lights

Substrate can range from plain gravel to special planted tank substrate or soil and/or potting soil with sand cap or just plain sand....all depends on how much additive to want to use like plant food etc....

I keep the natural planted tanks with dirt from my pasture and regular play sand from walmart...some are potting soil with sand cap and even other with a mix of dirt and kitty litter(clay/Iron).....just like in nature.......the plants function as the filtration and the fish/livestock as the ferts....as close to a natural ecosystem that you can get in a closed system.......

Low cost+low tech=lots of fun......no CO2 and no Ferts added...just fish, snails, shrimp and they all have a job in my little ecosystem in a glass box that range from 1gal to 75gal.........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #4 
acloudconnected

Thanks for that link Alexander. OFL, you're describing what I've been picturing in my head. Their little tank is nice as-is, but I can't help but think that they would be even happier with a really natural environment...

Also, I am obsessed with Red Cherry Shrimp. They're so cute they make me want to squeak! Wouldn't put them in with the Betta (they'd just be dinner wouldn't they?) But I am considering a new tank for use as a shrimparium... Anyway, research first. Thanks again for the info and that link Alexander!
acloudconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #5 
shinybetta

It depends on your betta's personality wether they would get eaten or not.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #6 
windfire

i have cherries in with Ares and he pretty much ignores them unless i try fast him for a day them he kills one and goes "hah you wanted to starve me well this is what happens" lol. as long as you have a well planted tank with lots of hidey holes they should be ok. i started with real plants and have been building up to more challenging plants, im at the moment considering a CO2 system but this is not needed for basic plants. i'd recommend starting off with java fern, java moss and anubias nana, you could also try a few crypts or swords, bacopa is also nice. designing a new scape is alot of fun though i would caution that if you use a soil medium capped with sand to be really certain of your layout otherwise you willl end up pulling soil out with your plants and it lies all over the sand. good luck and enjoy the designing process
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I keep lots of red cherry and the yellow shrimp in all my tanks with my Bettas....so far no problems, however, in a 20 NPT with 18 adult females they destroyed the shrimp even with a massive amount of java moss and other plants....In one of my 2gal NPT with one male he has never bothered the shrimp....but as posted every Betta is different when is comes to shrimp and snails for that matter

As long as you provide lots and lots of hiding places for the shrimp-more often than not the adults will be fine but the shrimpletts will most likely be eaten......

I love my natural planted tanks and once they are mature they are really easy to care for and the change in behavior of the livestock is amazing....live plants in general benefit the aquarium and livestock in many ways in my opinion/experience.......

Natural planted tanks are easy to setup and get started..... one trick for success is lots and lots of stem plants and floating plants to start and the right lights...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginners, live plants, planted tank