Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #1 
jewledrose

Exclamation Betta Meds/Disease Help

Ok, so I had posted on here about my one betta being sick w/o due cause, maybe possible poisoning? Anyway, Yesterday I noticed he looked like he had velvet so I went to my LFS and got quick cure (malachite green) to help him. Today, he looks better (velvet wise) but is beginning to show signs of a possible bacterial infection and fin rot. He is a petco betta who most likely came home sick (about a week ago). Are there any meds I can combine with the malachite green to treat the other symptoms or is there a better all around med out there? He is in a bare 1 gallon tank right now for the treatment.

Housing
What size is your tank? Was in a 2.5 gallon, thought tank was issue, now in 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 74˚
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes, non adjustable heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? nutra fin max flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x a day - has not been fed in the past 24 hours

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? had been 50% every 3 days, 100% a week. Now he is getting 100% every day

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner - had been using stress coat, now splendid betta water conditioner for the smaller tank. Also added aquarium salt to the 1 gallon

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no (tap water was tested, not the actual tank however)

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2
Hardness: 50
Alkalinity: 120

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Showed flecks of velvet and spots of color on his black head (they are a greenish/gold color), now has red spots by gills/belly and dorsal fin looks shredded

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? was lethargic with clamped fins - now starting to swim around and fins have unclamped

When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a day and a half ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, malachite green (pre measured dropper - 1 drop per gallon (quick cure))

Does your fish have any history of being ill? no - petco betta though
How old is your fish (approximately)? pet store age?
jewledrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #2 
jewledrose

He appears to be a bit happier - he was flaring at me as I was trying to get pics. However, the fin was a bit hard to get a picture of, but in the one pic it does show how it is kind of frayed. I also noticed that both of his other fins are also starting to become a bit frayed - they were normally rounded like the end of the tail fin.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...001511-1-1.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...3001510a-1.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...3001509b-1.jpg
Old 11-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #3 
jewledrose

Does anyone have any ideas/opinions/recommendations?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

He may just be cold...I would increase the temp to at least 76-78F and keep QT in the 1gal for now and start a 100% daily water change with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 day and see if that won't perk him up...if it does- I would stay with the treatment for at least 5 days but no longer than 10 days...adding either IAL or native dried oak leaf can also help in the healing process....I like to steep my leaves in my pre-mix salt water until the water is a nice amber color.

I don't use OTC medications, pesticides...etc....due to their harshness...so I can't say that the product you are using now will help or hurt along with the standard clean water and salt treatment that has always been effective for me......it takes time for them to heal....usually within the week I will see new growth all depending on the root cause of injury and how advanced the infection........no quick fix that I am aware of......and careful not to over medicate and stress the immune response and make things worse.....

Nutrition is also important for the healing process......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacterial, fin rot, sick betta fish, velvet