Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #1 
bevely

Betta floats to top of tank.

Hi everyone, I'm new here on bettafish, and I'm also the new owner of a female betta. I'm coming here seeking advice, because I have noticed some odd behavior from my betta and would like to see if I am being paranoid if she actually has an issue.

Housing

What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? Not sure.
Does your tank have a filter? No, but I do keep a lamp on shining on the tank.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 Pellets a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? A water conditioner, I don't remember the name..

I haven't actually changed the water yet, as I just got my beta a few days ago.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I have not tested the water

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Her physcial appearance looks okay.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
She seems to float to the top of the tank against her will.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
I just got her a couple days ago, but I really started noticing she could not stay at the bottom of the tank for long yester day

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I have done a bit of research and found she may have a swim bladder disorder. I fed her a tiny bit of green pea this morning as I hear it's a good laxative for bettas. I figure she'd like the treat whether or not she's actually sick.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not sure, just got her
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know.

----
I just got my betta Saturday night, and yesterday I noticed her behavior probably isn't normal for a betta.

I noticed her tail started rising upwards when she was at the bottom of the tank. She doesn't stay down there for long, and just ends up rising or swimming back up. She likes to stay in the top corners of the fish tank, unmoving. It seems she sleeps there too.

She does not flop to her side, and she swims fine, no odd movement or trouble just swimming as I can tell.

Basically it looks as if there is a balloon tied to her tail and she floats back up.

She eats her pellets, and she quickly ate the bit of pea I dropped in, too.

I did some research and if anything is wrong with her it seems she has a swim bladder disorder. Apparently if I feed her peas it will act as a laxative and she'll get better?

The only other reason I can think is there are bubbles from the tap water forming in the tank. Is it possible there are many tiny bubbles floating up making it hard for her to stay at the bottom?

I'm just a bit concerned and would like to see if anyone could offer some advice, thanks.
bevely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #2 
bevely

Here is a picture of her in her usual corner. She stays like this unmoving for the most part, sometimes bobbing up to breathe. I can't imagine this is normal behavior...

When I feed her food she gets really energetic, the bit of pea I used as a laxative for her sinks, and she chases it down to the bottom before eating it. Other than that, she usually just stares into the corner of the tank, it seems odd.

She can't stay submerged for long, as she floats back up which I assume is a SBD issue, but is her stillness also related to that? She doesn't move *at all* unless it's to bob up for breath, I don't even see her gills moving, though Im not sure if they normally would..

Could her not moving be a sign of bad water quality? Or maybe the water is too cold? I live in Florida, so it's never really cold down here. I also keep a table lamp shining right down on her tank.

I didn't really plan for her, I was at the pet store and decided to get the ugliest looking betta I could find to save it from a life on the store shelf. My brother was with me, who worked at a pet store and showed me the basics, but she only has a 1 gallon tank with no heater and no filter, and after doing a little betta research I'd like to upgrade her tank soon.

Sorry the picture is so blurry, I took it with my phone
Attached Images

Last edited by bevely; 11-24-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Dont know about the floating thing, but the temp will swing around alot with the lamp being on in the daytime and not in the nightime, so a heater to keep things stable for the colder temps at nightime would be ideal :) A thermometer too! ;D Once she gets better, I'd feed her 4-5 pellets a day.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #4 
danifacetastic

Also with a one gallon tank you'll be needing to do water changes like every other day. I'd upgrade to a 2.5 gallon when you can. The one gallon will be fine for now but you'll need to do more water changes. Also get a thermometer and a heater...it's VERY important unless you live somewhere where it's always in the seventies.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems......

I would get a thermometer and check the water temp-you want to keep the water temp stable in the 76-80F range...often this can be a problem/reason for the buoyancy issues-you may need to add a heater-the light will help but only short term-once you turn if off the temp will drop and the temp swings can be stressful for her.

If your house is cold you may want to cover the top of her container with plastic veggie wrap or something to maintain a warm humid environment for the labyrinth organ-cold/cool dry air can also cause problems and buoyancy issues.

In a 1gal unfiltered tank I would make twice weekly water changes of 1-50% and 1-100%-try and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water and always use dechlorinater with any new water added to the fish if you are on city water supply

Once you get her water temp stable and if she continues to have buoyancy problems you can do an Epsom salt 1tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt)treatment along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days

Sometimes they can have either an inflamed or infected duct that connects the swimbladder and intestines that can cause buoyancy problems....sometimes this can also be related to genetic and/or how the Betta was raised at the breeders and if so she will always have buoyancy problems but usually they are fine and can still live a normal life
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #6 
danifacetastic

Hey Oldfishlady...I'm going to start using aquarium salt in my divided 10 gallon (3 ways) for one of my boys I think has been tail biting. How much of a water change should I do...how often...and how long should I use the salt? Or should I quarentine the fish?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifacetastic View Post
Hey Oldfishlady...I'm going to start using aquarium salt in my divided 10 gallon (3 ways) for one of my boys I think has been tail biting. How much of a water change should I do...how often...and how long should I use the salt? Or should I quarentine the fish?
I responded to your thread......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #8 
danifacetastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I responded to your thread......
Thanks so much. I just hadn't gotten anyone to respond since I posted stuff yesterday. I trust you a lot though :)
Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #9 
bevely

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am looking into getting a bigger tank with a filter and heater. Preferably 5 gals, so I can fill it with fun stuff.

I put in her the cup I got her in, with bottled water instead of the well water from tap. She seems to be a bit better in the cup, and is even resting on the bottom. Her tail still drifts upwards though, but she is able to control it better and stay down without much trouble it seems.

I'm going to change her 1gal with bottled water and see how she does in it.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #10 
danifacetastic

She'll have an awesome time in a 5 gal all by herself. Correct me if I'm wrong but you should still use water conditioner in the bottled water.