Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #1 
JKfish

I've got a problem :/

I was looking at my cycling tank, and something caught my eye. I looked over, and holy crap, there's metal poking out of the silk ivy stem! *headesk* I've had these in an aquarium before, and everthing's been fine. I can't believe I missed that they had metal in them! I looked over them a lot of times before I used them in the first tank, and was postive it was just plastic. Good gosh, what if they were the cause of Puffy dying? Argh >.< They haven't rusted yet, so I'm guessing it's stainless steel but I should take them out.

But, if I take them out, I can kiss the cover and suitability as a sorority good bye, which is bad because I'm adopting four girls really soon! So, should I take them out? If yes, then what should I do about getting more cover in the tank? I'm pretty much broke, so more live plants or even different silk plants are not an option. :(
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How long have they been in the tank, they may not be a problem-any change in water prams or anything-what was covering the metal part to start...can you not cut the metal away and find either plastic or wood to attach them to...just a thought...don't know what the plant looks like to know a better way to attach and still use...post a pic..and are all the silk plants the same or just the one....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Can you remove the metal parts with an x-acto knife or something and then glue them back together?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #4 
JKfish

They've been in the current tank for about two weeks, though some have been in a different tank for a month or so without any issues on the fishs' part.

This is the best picture I could take and crop. This piece of ivy has only been under water for about two weeks.
Name:  more pictures of tank 006.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  32.6 KB

the ivy is the same ivy that was in the tank when Puffy was alive (its the backround of my avvie)

jupiter: the metal is only exposed where I had to cut the ivy so it'd fit in the tank. I can't cut the metal off, and I guess the only way to fix this would be to cover it with more plastic or sealant of some sort.

OFL: they are the only sort of silk plant that didn't leak color, so they're the only type in the tank. As for param changes, none really. Once in the tank downstairs I had a PH swing down a bit, but I'm not sure what triggered it. No param changes up in the cycling tank yet. The only difference is that the Ph is a tiny bit less acidic than the one downstairs.

Last edited by JKfish; 11-23-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #5 
JKfish

sorry about the double post.

Hey, could I use super glue to cap the edges where the metal is showing? I know hot glue wouldn't work ,but I've heard from www.applesnail.net that snails with broken shells can have them superglued back together fine... if a snail is okay with superglue on it's shell, wouldn't it be fine in the water?
Old 11-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #6 
JKfish

bump (sorry to be annoying...) and another question.

I do have some silk plants that I don't use because they leak color into the water whenever I soak them before they're tossed into the tank, is there any way to make them loose all of their color quickly (I don't mind if they're ugly) so I could use them in the ivy's place?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #7 
bettablue

why don't you just buy some real plants?
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #8 
JKfish

I already have a lot of live plants. Wisteria, water lettuce, java fern, and aponogeton bulbs. However, they aren't fully grown and able to take up more space to break up the vision of the girls in the (hopefully) soon to be sorority. The wisteria is growing quickly, but it's still only halfway to the top of the tank, and I only have six stems. The two aponogeton bulbs are doing well, but they too aren't taking up more room. Java fern is slow as ever, and the floating water lettuce roots only go so deep.

I'd love to get more plants, live or not, in fact I'm eyeing some live anubias that is cheap on ebay, but it'll be too expensive for me until christmas rolls around. I'd get some from petsmart, but they are waaay too expensive.

Last edited by JKfish; 11-24-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Maybe some floating moss of some kind? To break up the line of site at the very top?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #10 
JKfish

You guys don't have a pic of the tank, so I'll post some in a bit (I hate hate hate resizing them just right) . but, basically, if I take that ivy out and keep it out, it's pretty much bare.

I can't get floating moss for the same reason I can't get any other plants. a) it costs money b) I'd have difficulty finding it c) chances are it'd have to be shipped to me... more money d) it wouldn't be enough