Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #11 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifacetastic View Post
I kept my two bettas in one gallon tanks without a heater and they were fine for a month and the temps were staying normal but in September their temps were getting to 55 degrees. I thought they were doing fine but when I finally got heaters I saw how much happier they really were.
+1

Bettas just simply act happier when warm! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:27 AM   #12 
DazzleKitty

Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of people here who actually don't use or haven't used them in the past and had fish that lived for a long time.

Like I said, I still definitely intend to get one for each fish. I'm thinking about spoiling myself (and my fish, haha!) this Christmas and invested in a 5 or 10 gallon filtered tank with a light and separating screen so I can just put both of them in it. And get a heater for the tank, of course. That way, I won't have to change 2 separate tanks and I can have a filter which will help keep the water clearer and cleaner. Plus, they'd have more room and I could get some really nifty tank decor.

Totally off-topic, but I got one of those betta leaf hammocks for my betta in my 2.5 gallon, just to see if it's a gimmick or not. I put it near the surface, and OMG! He really uses it! It's SO CUTE! I am definitely gonna get another one for my other betta next time I go to Petsmart. It's a cool idea. Kudos to the person who invented it.

Thanks to all of your for responding! I'll get that heater by the end of the year. They may not be at their best, but at least they both seem pretty happy. I know they would be best with it. I just wish I wasn't so poor. A looked at prices and they are pretty expensive. Plus, I am gonna research some of the ones recommended. I'd like to get a small one for my little tank, as recommended. Or I should just probably wait until I get a bigger tank next month.

I wish I never 'discovered' these things (or more like took one home impulsively)! They are pretty addicting. If I had things my way, I'd have a fish room like some hardcore fish people have. But I'd only be able to do that if I didn't work full time and I was pretty well off monetarily.
Heck, people always tell me I'd have my own zoo if I could. I love pets. :P
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #13 
JKfish

Dazzle, if you're a bit short on cash, Petsmart's black friday sale has a ten gallon kit for 23 dollars (with the petperks card), which is more for less money than the walmarts five gallon kit. And I'm pertty sure the heaters are on sale as well (with the petperks card) :)

If you think about this on the bright side, fish cost a lot less than dogs and cats do.

Also, keep an eye on the betta hammock, I've heard some people say that the part that connects the leaf to the suctioncup is metal and can sometimes rust.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #14 
Jayy

My bettas don't have heaters right now and they couldn't be happier. They swim all the time and blow bubblenest. I think I do want to get a heater to keeep them at a contant temp. Not 76 one day and 79 the other.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #15 
Jupiter

Well, you do live in a warm place.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

3 of mine have heaters but my room stays fairly warm. I don't like to be cold, either! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote