Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

There's nothing wrong with spawning in smaller tanks, depending on the pair. The thai way always uses small tanks. The problem is heating. It is not as easy to reliably heat a 2 gallon tank and almost impossible to heat a 2L.

As to why the father ate the eggs it could be a number of things. The eggs could have not been viable or had a fungus. The father may have felt threatened, the male may be an egg eater, so many things.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #12 
Alex09

leave the Thai way to the experienced breeders in Thailand who have been doing it for generations.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #13 
bettabreeder123
Banned

i've seen people breed in PICKLE jars abd mine are not pickle jars so explain that
Old 11-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #14 
1fish2fish

What temperature are the pickle jars?

Like I said. If you know what your doing you can breed in almost anything. The thai way generally doesn't work in colder climates because there is just no way to heat such small a space. In the summer maybe but not now.

Plus.. the small spawning tank will only last until the fry are free swimming, then you have to have a larger heated tank to transfer them too. I prefer just to spawn in a tank that the fry will have room to live in for a few weeks.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #15 
zelilaa

Remember the post I made on your other thread about when you were happy your female got seriously injured? Yah. That.
Please separate your bettas and stop breeding!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:36 AM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

It's true that bettas will spawn literally anywhere, given the right water conditions. But you must consider a number of things;

1. Bettas are fighters. If your male is aggressive, you may loose your female because she has nowhere to run. Even a rather non aggressive/vicious male may badly injure the female in such a small container.

2. a good full grown female IME can lay up to 1300 eggs (av. 1000 eggs..... trust me, I counted). In small containers, you need more wc. Preferably 2 - 3 times daily. Now, imagine all those tiny fry practically filling up the water .... how are you going to do wc, siphon out uneaten food, fry waste, etc. It's too much work.

1fish2fish has a good point - your climate in general. It's more difficult to adjust smaller jars to the needed conditions.

3. Fry will need space to grow. You must eventually move them to a large tank. If you're only breeding one pair and have a large tank, why go to all that trouble. Why not do yourself a favor and breed in the large tank?

Most Asian breeders I know breed in small bins and later pour a number of spawns into one big tub. They don't do it for the heck of it, but for a reason. So, again, I highly recommend that you breed in a rather large container/tank.

As for egg/fry eaters, well they exist. It is caused by a number of things as previously stated by others. But if you happen to have a natural "eater" and you badly want his genetics, you must artificial hatch the eggs (read bettysplendens). If the eggs are good, they will hatch. Otherwise they will fungus. If possible, I suggest you use a different male and make your life easier.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #17 
bettabreeder123
Banned

okay i get it i voer exaggerted but in the end my female is fine and she really didnt get beat up and she only has like 3 nips. she in a 3 gallong tank and healing with other fishies.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #18 
Betta Slave

There really isn't enough room for other fish in a 3 gallon...
Old 11-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #19 
zelilaa

+ 1.

What other fishies are in there?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #20 
Perdue

this thread needs to stop before someone gets outta control and then we'll have a big fight like on the betta barracks thread...
Closed Thread