Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #11 
MrVampire181

Well it killed all but one....it was during a critical stage of development so its not going to hurt adults but month old fry, definately. Ever since then I use plastic tubs to keep dust and stuff out and make the air humid.

I think it's mainly dust. I've tried everything but now I just clap the lids on or use plastic wrap.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #12 
JKfish

The film is a product of micro organisms, it's pretty much protein, and it builds up in still water. The best way to get rid of it is to disturb the surface. Use a small bubbler or a filter, or do water changes to get rid of it. If those don't work, you'll have to resort to getting a cup and skimming it out. I've heard that apple snails will sometimes climb up and suck the water up top to eat that stuff, (though probably not enough) but if you have apple snails in other tanks, you might want to put one in there if you have the room. If you want to go uber fancy high tech, technically you could buy a water skimmer and that'd do the job, but those things are expensive

Last edited by JKfish; 11-24-2010 at 07:00 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #13 
CrankyFish84

If I had more electrical sockets I'd add some small bubblers to break the surface of it.
Darn electric limitations.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #14 
JKfish

actually, I'm pretty sure you don't need an outlet for bubblers, though I could be wrong (I've never had one) . I always buy or find those outlet strips with at least three outlets and plug that in so my lights, filter, and heater can go there and anything extra can go on the other original outlet. (if that makes any sense)
Old 11-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #15 
CrankyFish84

JK - Geezzz they sure build up fast! Overnight even it appears....So annoying....

So my problem is...to baffle the filters (for Eclipses, Hawkeyes, and Aqueon ones), enough
to not push the guys around but break the surface too...
Old 11-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #16 
JKfish

Yeah, I know.

Baffling just right is difficult. I try to keep mine weak as possible but still slightly splashing, though that often requires me to lower my water level, which really doesn't look good (to me)
Old 11-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #17 
FishyFriend1

you could also try something that floats maybe..... It might not work.

I have yet to have a film on my aquarium and it is still water. but i usually am poking around in there or cleaning it.

Would your water quality have any affect on this?
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #18 
CrankyFish84

Wow...Well I know my PH is like 7.8-8....and I google "tampa tap water chemicals"
and this article came up about crap showing up in it...Sick.... Tests find antibiotic, other contaminants in Tampa's drinking water
Old 11-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #19 
JKfish

floating stuff in the tank doesn't help :P .I know, when I had that stuff, I tried. the protein just sticks to it and looks gross.

My water is soft, 6.6-6.8, and it got it too. Water params don't affect it. The only reason I don't have it now is... ..... hmmm, I don't really know why there isn't any in my tanks O_o

ouch cranky, well, if it helps any, the water in my area can be crappy at times too. Your fish are fine, right?
Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #20 
CrankyFish84

Oh ya they are all doing good...Danny Boy I've had for 4 months in the slime prone water &
he's still kickin'. :) I'll look into the apple snails though...as long as they don't eat my live plants. lol