Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #1 
baylee767

Unhappy Want to be a Vet so Bad... But I can't

Right now I really want to be a vet, I have most of the things necessary. Grades, skills, and I'm good at calming down animals. I just really wish that I could stand the pain! My dad had to put some medicine on my dogs paw because he hurt it and I was trying to hold him still and calm him down, but I was on the verge of tears when he started crying. I just can't STAND to see an animal in pain, and a vet has to cause pain and observe much pain in animals to treat them.

Sounds like this future career isn't happening one day.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

A vet is one of my career options for sure. But I'm too squeamish. I'd be horrible; I wouldn't be able to perform surgeries or anything like that. I'd faint. DX
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #3 
baylee767

There are different types of vets only some do surgeries. All might cause an animal pain, though )=
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #4 
JKfish

There are plenty of other jobs that help animals, believe me. Being is a vet is just the first that comes to mind, many of which don't require as much college and competition as vets do. There are rehabilitators, zoo keepers, trainers, and a lot more. I had a list that I made a year so back and have been adding to as I find jobs that intrest me, but I can't find it! Look around, and if you really want a job with animals, research. You might just find the one for you :)

and the temporary pain vets cause is for good, you know it. When you get shots at a doctor, it stings, but it helps. When you get stiches or go under surgery, it might not be pleasant, but it's much better than actually living without it. What vets do is for the good of the creature, and believe it or not, their interactions with their patients don't always involve pain. (Sorry, I'm striving to be a vet (I'm not squeemish, internships during the summer are my life and I've been looking through lots of different types of animal or art realted jobs, but that just calls to me) and statements like that ruffle my feathers XD)

Last edited by JKfish; 11-24-2010 at 09:03 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #5 
Betta Slave

Baylee- I know. I'd like to be one of those vets who performs surgeries, but I wouldn't be able to. XD

I really think being a marine biologist would be cool, or working at a fish hatchery of some sort... anything with fish really.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #6 
MizzVamp115

Im on track to be a vet now. Im doing a veterinarian technician first. One of the major suckage issues is that in the US there are only 28 schools that actually have veterinarian as a a degree option. :/

Never give up though! If you are set on working at a vets office they have vet assistants and vet techs that are pretty much like vet nurses :D
MizzVamp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #7 
baylee767

Thanks everyone... I really like the idea of something with animals... Hey, how about a fish store? I could own one that actually takes good care of their fish ; )
Old 11-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #8 
peaches3221

I REALLY want to be a vet too! but I couldn't stand the sight of blood. and if an animal that I was supposed to treat died, I would feel SO guilty! I wouldn't be able to sleep for weeks! but I love the idea of a fish store! I was actually thinking about that myself (but i'm only in 7th grade so I still have a few years to think about it) and you could have like a 30 gallon display tank with maybe 10 or so bettas instead of little cups!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think opening a nice fish store sounds great! I think you guys should major in accounting or business in college so you'll know how to run a store, :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #10 
baylee767

But than again I'd prob. be poor if I did that! ;D