Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #1 
bloo97

Talking ADF Babysitting!

I'm Babysitting some ADF's for my friend, and I need to know some things about light. They are in that little square contaier with gravel, bamboo, and, of course, frogs. Can I have a warm lamp above their small tank? Is that okay? Or should I just leave them with no light?

Hmm. I like them, though. I want to get 2 and put them in Lucky's tank. :P
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #2 
ilovebunnies

I wouldn't recommend putting a light over this small setup, it will most likely get hot very fast. I would recommend doing very frequent water changes.

Uhg, these setups are terrible for ADFs. I know that they aren't yours but perhaps when your friend gets back you two could have some fun and do research on these guys.

http://frogworld.net/african-dwarf-frog/

http://frogworld.net/african-dwarf-f...-frog-habitat/
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #3 
bloo97

Can't change the water. It is one of those teacheer pet things.

Plus, It says on the directions it only needs one once a month because of the bamboo.

But thanks for the lighting tip, I will have an indirect light. :)
Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #4 
dukie1346

I've seen those tanks! Very cute, but very small. It says only monthly changes because the company wants it to seem like an easy pet. Like bettas, pet stores say to stick them in a tiny tank with infrequent water changes. It's kinda the same for these frogs. I would change the water anyway :)
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:46 AM   #5 
ilovebunnies

Yeah, the company care sheet is bad advice. The bamboo doesn't filter the water like they claim it does. If the bamboo's leaves are under the water, the plant will rot. Bamboo is not a fully submersible plant. The roots and stalk can be in the water but the portion with the leaves need to be out of the water. Having a bamboo plant like this will only make the water quality worse. They also claim that the gravel will help keep the water clean with live bacteria but honestly it doesn't. Dukie1346 is right, it's just another pet store/company gimmick that trick the consumer and keep animals suffering.

The water is simple to change, it's the same process that you would do for your betta. Put them in a separate cup, rinse the gravel and container out, add water that is the same temperature as the water they are in, add dechlorinator solution, net the frogs out of the old water, and add them into their clean home.

I honestly don't understand how companies can get away with this. It's really sad. You and your friend can also look up videos on youtube about proper care and habitat for them.

They are quite cute and if you ever considered getting a couple, it's possible. Some people on the forums have ADFs with their bettas. They can be kept together unless the betta is bullying them. They are difficult to feed sometimes with bettas, so some people separate the betta from the frogs during feeding times. If you don't have any other fish in your 10 gallon you could definitely put them in with Lucky (as long as he won't bully them). Just make sure you get African Dwarf Frogs and NOT African CLAWED Frogs. Two different species that look very similar. African CLAWED Frogs will get big and will go after your betta.

Oh yeah, ask around on the fish compatibility forum about AFDs and how others take care of them.

Hope I'm being helpful ;)

Last edited by ilovebunnies; 11-23-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #6 
bloo97

Thanks for the help. :)

I will see if I can do a waterchange.My friend hates it when I mess with his frogs. (?)

Lucky is in a 5 gallon, and I am not taking chances with him. :S

But thanks anywho. :D
Old 11-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #7 
ilovebunnies

No problem, I prefer my fish to be alone too. ADFs are cute, quite tempting...
>.>
Old 11-25-2010, 12:18 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

He shouldn't have left them with you if he didn't want you to mess with them.I know someone who has 2 ADF's in one of those things. I felt so sorry for the frogs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #9 
bloo97

I see. :)

But I can't get the top off. >:S