Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #1 
Kittencat27

Question Newbie assistance

Hi all, I recently just got my Betta Fish (last night at Walmart) and I was wondering if there are any tips I should follow, and any ideas for names? His current condition is in a bowl designed for bettas with an overhead light,a long but thin fake plant, blue and white globs for stones, and he's sitting at the bottom side of the bowl. Please note my room is not as heated as the rest of the home, and the bowl is too small for a heater that goes in water. Is this sitting just the stress of a new home?
Kittencat27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #2 
JKfish

Welcome to the forum Kittencat :)

What you have isn't really good for him. He's probably sitting at the bottom of his bowl because he is cold. Bettas are tropical fish so they need warm water and clean water so their fins stay in good shape and they are healthy.

THose little bowls make it hard to do that. It's probably only 1/2 a gallon right? Well, tiny tanks like that need to be cleaned at least once a day. Fish release ammonia through their gills as they breathe, so in such tiny places, it builds up quickly.

I advise you return the bowl, and buy a better tank. 2.5 gallon tanks or larger tend to be easier to keep clean and warm. I know for a fact that walmart sells a five gallon kit (tank, hood, and filter) for thirty something dollars, and this tank for thirty http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258 In a five gallon tank, you have more room to decorate and give him a place to hide if he wants, and finding good heaters for a tank that size will be easier too. Plus, you're water changes would be much smaller water changes because of the larger size.

Heaters are a must. A good quality heater like this : http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754055 is great. The company actually stands by this product for life, so if it ever breaks, you can be sent a new one.

Hiding places are always good for your betta, they keep him feeling happy and safe. It really doesn't matter what it is, it could even be a clean mug in a tank.

If you're short on money, there are other alternatives. Walmart or target sells sterlite or tubbermaid tubs, some of which are about two gallons, which would do. They're not that much, and they can be safely heated.

With the proper care your betta will be more active, happy, colorful, etc. Bettas are awesome fish, they've got personality, they're smart, forgiving of beginner mistakes, and they're addicting :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #3 
danifacetastic

Petsmart sells a 2.5 gallon kit for $20 and a 5 gallon kit for $40. All you'd have to buy is a heater. One that small would be about $20. If you got a five gallon you could divide it and keep 2 bettas! And you did use water conditioner right?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #4 
FishyFriend1

also if you got to petsmart they have these cheap bowl heaters. I don't know how well they work though..
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #5 
JKfish

the cheap bowl heaters at petsmart might not work as well as they could, and they're a bit expensive. I think the heating pads that Walmart sells are decent and inexpensive
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #6 
baylee767

They sell kritter keepers and the L and XL is 2.5 and 7 gallons. They're really cheap and come with lids.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #7 
CrankyFish84

If money is the issue, then the sterilite container ($3-$5) & a tetra preset heater would be good.
The con is Sterilites aren't totally clear....Staples sells a similar tub that IS clear, I forgot the brand though....

The Hawkeyes are a great deal :) They look much bigger than 2.5 or 5 gallons. The filter is a bit strong, but easy to baffle w/ a rubberband & sponge around the outflow.

Welcome to the forum!
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

I swear by Sterilite tubs and Tetra preset heaters, that's pretty much what you see in my fish room (except for my breeding tanks).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #9 
Kittencat27

Thank you all for these helpful tips :) my parents wouldn't allow me to get a larger tank, but I moved him to a warmer location on the counter top (especially where the kitties won't get him) and found he doesn't like betta fish pellet food. He will eat flakes, his waters much warmer, and he's very active and happy :)
Old 11-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #10 
Kittencat27

I hope I can get a picture of him for all of you soon :)

Tags
assist, care, newbie