Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #1 
Capricorn

What do you think? (10gal)

So I just recently rehoused my ghost shrimp from Nettle's ten gallon.. they were getting quite large and had become aggressive towards him. I was tossing around the idea of getting something else for his tank, but I'm not sure.. or maybe I should even let him live alone?

What do you guys think about it? I was sort of considering cories, but I don't know much about them. Any pointers, ideas, suggestions?
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #2 
crowntail lover

I personally hate Ghost Shrimp. They destroyed one of my male Bettas fins about a year ago.. And I havent had them since. They do become very agressive over time and will start to eat on the Bettas fins (as they did mine) So you should probably get the shrimp out of the tank as soon as possible... Are you just looking for a tank mate for your Betta or do you have a algea problem?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #3 
Capricorn

Nah, I actually already removed them, haha. The larger of the two went after my betta yesterday and I removed them that night and dropped them off at an aquarium store. The small ones I never had problems with, but the big ones obviously are much more aggressive. e.e

I'm just looking for tank mates.. his tank doesn't really have an algae issue. The only other issue would be that he's an absolute pig and I would need some pointers on feeding other fish without him stuffing his face full, haha. Do you have any recommendations for other fish types that would work well? Aside from him being pushy for food he's not aggressive, which is why I was considering adding something else.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #4 
BlueHaven

There are look a like shrimps that look like ghost shrimp. Maybe the bigger one's ya'll had were not ghost shrimp?
Because they are know to do very well with bettas. But maybe i'm wrong.
I think they only (ghost shrimp) grow up to around 2 inches.

Some snails is another option. :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #5 
shinybetta

Get the cories They are very fun to watch! They eat a main diet of algea wafers, but their diet should be suplemented with bloodworms. They are sensative to salt, and some medications so be careful. Keep them in groups of 4 or more. Also, provide hiding spaces (plants, logs, rocks). They DON'T need a filter, as they have labirynth organs like betta's. Also, read the scientific name of the cories at the pet store. There is an Emerald Green Cory sold, but it isn't an actual cory. It looks and acts the same, but grows much larger than cories.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

I love cories and snails! They're basicly just an awesome cleaning crew!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #7 
Capricorn

Okay, so if I got four pygmy cories that would be okay stocking-wise in a ten gallon? I'd probably renovate my tank a little first to get some more hiding spots in there.. any good live plants that they like?

So they don't need an air stone then, also? That's good, one less piece of equipment I need. xD

And just algae wafers and blood worms? Are they fairly quick eaters? Nettle is known for being a hog, but I guess he probably wouldn't like the algae ones..
Old 11-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #8 
shinybetta

Yes, four would be okay, though you could probably go for five. Yep, mine live fine with no equipment, just a tank, water, and a heater. My females go after the wafers, but the cories don't really care. Just make sure the tank is lidded. When they come up to breathe, they have to turn upside down (downward facing mouths) and usually jump out of the water. Mine get hungry, eat, then get really fat and don't do much.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #9 
Alex09

If your tank is fully stocked a filter IS needed. You can probably put in 6 pygmys or 3-4 of the larger kind. Just make sure to do your water changes.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #10 
Capricorn

Yep, his tank is fully cycled as well. (:

Thank you guys for the help, any other advice is more than welcome. <3 Maybe sometime next week or the week after I'll pick some up.