Housing
What size is your tank? ~2 gal
What temperature is your tank? Room temperature
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aquarian Betta Floating Fish pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once per day, 4 - 6 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once per 1-2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? See picture
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Stays near top of tank all the time. Doesn't really swim anywhere. Doesn't eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Four days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 years

Hi,

My daughter's betta has stopped eating the past few days and has developed an unusual appearance around his gills. After reading some of the other posts here, I'll be purchasing a heater for the tank, and we'll need to change the water more often, but is that likely to be enough to help him recover? He's never had any (obvious) problems until this week. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vin; 11-25-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: attached wrong picture
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What a pretty fish he must have been.....

In a 2gal unfiltered tank-you are correct more water changes are needed as well as a heater, however, you must be doing something right for him to have lasted 2 years......sadly he may be at the end and this could be age related and along with poor water quality and unstable temps it can happen faster.....I would start by getting the heater and thermometer and keep the temp in the 76-78F range...you don't want to go too high with the temp yet especially with an already compromised fish-start making 100% water changes daily with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days.....good luck....

Are you on well water-I see that you don't use any additives like a dechlorinator
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #3 
Vin

We live in the city and use (chlorinated) tap water. I'm guessing I should be treating the water...

I wish I had come to this site when we got the fish, so much of what I had read (and was told in the pet store) I am now coming to realize wasn't correct. Like you said, since he's lived, and seemed happy, for so long we thought we were doing things right. I'm reading more of the info available here as I have time and hopefully we can get him back to good health.

We keep the fish in my daughter's room, which also seems to be one of the coldest rooms in the house, so a heater might well help out. We've moved him temporarily to the kitchen where it's a bit warmer. Also, my daughter's room faces north and gets very little light coming in.

My concern with his appearance and behaviour was that he might have a disease of some sort that needed treatment, but hopefully making these other changes will be just what he needs.

Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Wow, I am really surprised that he has lived this long in chlorinated water....I would gets some dechlorinator too when you get the heater and thermometer...make sure it covers chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals
Don't warm him up too fast.....
Old 11-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #5 
Vin

I might find this on the site on my own, but in case I don't, what's the best way to perform a 100% water change in heated water without subjecting him to temperature shock? Currently, since the water is kept at room temperature we leave the fresh water out for a day to adjust, then swap him into a smaller bowl with some of his old water while we change the water in the tank.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Just estimate. Try to get the tap water to come out about the same temperature of the tank water.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #7 
Vin

It's only been two days, but I think he's improving. He still stays near the top of the tank, but I have seen him swim to the bottom a couple times and go to his hiding place. He still hasn't eaten, however, and I also noticed he has one eye that looks swollen. On the other hand, there are a lot of bubbles in the tank where he's spending all of his time. From what I've read they build bubble nests when they're happy, so maybe he's feeling better? Is the eye something to worry about?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Sadly a swollen eye can be a sign of more bad things to come...but lets hope not, however, with this new symptom you may want to increase the Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal-since it is just one eye hopefully it is an injury and not popeye..
Old 12-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #9 
Vin

Oldfishlady: I hope I'm not counting my eggs before they've hatched, but our fish seems to have almost completely rebounded. His eye still looks swollen, but he's eating again and even seems to have regained some colour (I didn't really pay much attention to changes in his colouration, so I don't know how long ago he became so pale). After doing some reading on this site I've decided we need to get him into a new home so I located a used 20 gallon tank and will be moving him in once I have it properly cycled. Again, thank you very much for your help!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #10 
Vin

Just thought I'd post one last update. My daughter's fish seems as good as I ever remember. Being her fish kept in her room, I didn't pay as much attention to him as I do now that we're keeping him in the living room. However, he seems much more active than I've ever noticed before (could be in part due to the larger tank), and he flares his gills at us if we look at him the wrong way. His swollen eye has returned to normal and he's eating very well again. I took another picture of him today, and comparing it to the last one I took he doesn't look that different to me, but I can see some changes (part of which could be different camera settings to compensate for a change in lighting). Despite the minimal changes in appearance, his behaviour has vastly improved. I'd just like to say thanks again for your help!
Attached Images

Last edited by Vin; 12-13-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: picture didn't attach