Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Calling OFL and Adastra... and any other fishie healers

I was very bad. I went to walmart and ended up with 2 sympathy buys. I tried to resist because I didn't want to support bad care, etc, yadda yadda but they both reminded me so much of my old Dal "Fish" (who started this entire addiction) that I had to take them home.

I did give the employee an earful (politely) and she cleaned the rest of the cups right away and I'll be writing to corporate as usual but I still couldnt' leave these guys.

Now onto their symptoms:

Fish #1
THIN
lethargic
swim bladder issues (floating up)
parasites? (stringy white stuff coming from vent)
had or has fin rot
will not eat parasite food or frozen daphnia
bloated (assuming its from the parasites)
gills seem inflamed.

Fish #2
THIN
lethargic
parasites??
will eat food but will not touch parasite food
bloated (assuming it's from parasites)

Right now they're both in 1 gallon glass jars that are only filled 1/2 way (so they can get air easier). The room temp is warm enough that they'll be alright until I decide whether they can handle a larger volume of water or not.

I'm not even sure if they'll last the night but I want to try. I haven't added any medications to their tanks yet until I decide what the best course of action is.

Here's pics.. if anyone remembers "Fish" you'll understand why I couldn't leave them. They just reminded me too much of him.

1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #2 
JKfish

Oh, poor boys, they're so thin! I'm sure they'll make it through the night, bettas are tough little fishies, and they're in much better conditions than they were in the cups.

I'm no fishy healer, and all I can say is stuff you already know, but...

have you tried soaking their food in garlic juice?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I don't have any at my house so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

They both have perked up a little from being in clean water. I didn't put any of the dirty water in the cups into the new jars.

I think fish#2 might have velvet >.<
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #4 
JKfish

Well, if they're perking up already, I say they're willing to fight to live.

Oh :/ velvet isn't good. Is the velvet the gold coloring by his gills in the pic?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

no, I think that's just his coloring, his fins look like they have velvet.

They're in the dark right now and I don't want to upset them with the flash light but I'll check them in a little while after they've had a few hours to settle down from the car ride and new tank, etc.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

im sorry you have to see them like that!:/ good luck!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #7 
Adastra

Especially since the other one isn't taking food, I think it would be wise to put them on a dissolving tablet dewormer with the ingredients praziquantel and metronidazole--I have had some success with Jungle's Parasite Clear. Dewormers don't seem to have any real side-effects, so it wouldn't hurt to give them both a full treatment.

If you have it on hand now, some methylene blue may be helpful because of their recent ammonia exposure. It should also discourage any external parasites--but isn't harsh like malachite green. If there is a seriously bad infestation you might have to go for a malachite green treatment in the future, but in an unconfirmed case it is best not to jump the gun. Just remember to take everything super slow. :)

Other than that, I think it's really too early to tell what symptoms are simply pet store blues and what are serious areas of concern. Once they've warmed up and de-stressed, give us an update! :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I'll pick up the dewormer tomorrow. The poor first guy has so much crap inside of him he looks like an eggy female almost.

I don't have any meth blue but I can get some.

I gave them a closer look and I don't think it's velvet but just his color. I'm gonna keep an eye on it though.

I almost had a heart attack. The first guy looked dead, floating at the top not moving, but thankfully he was just resting. If he makes it I might name him Zombie because he quite literally is the living dead.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Poor fellas.....you know what I will say and you know what to do too and you are doing it.......fresh clean dechlorinated water and lots of it-but slow since they came from poor conditions....using the Epsom salt and IAL or oak leaf tannins can nearly always be helpful in my experience and if you don't have Epsom salt on hand aquarium salt- 1tsp/gal to start and then increase to 2tsp/gal if needed and create a quite calm place and even covering the top to maintain warm humid air for the labyrinth

Epsom salt can help purge the digestive system faster and rid them of some of the internal parasite that nearly all fish normally have in low numbers-its when the numbers get out of hand due to starvation when they become problematic for the fish...I know you already know this but don't raise the water temp too fast on them...this need to be slow with compromised fish...everything needs to be slow when a poor creature came from poor water/environment......good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I added a small pinch of epsom salt to their tank after I sucked out the uneaten food. I had forgotten about that until I found the epsom salt in the bottom of my fish meds/ QT stuff. That's probably 1/2 a tsp so that will work since they're in about 1/2 a gallon of water.

Tonight they're at room temp but still warmer than at wal-mart. Tomorrow I'll work on slowly raising them up to 80*.

I have a 10 gallon that was divided in 4 sections. Tomorrow I'll pick up a heater and meds and take out two of the dividers (so it's divided in half) and put the boys in there for treatment since most meds come in 10 gallon doses.