Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #1 
Oldfishlady

My new cheap 5gal NPT

This is the little 5gal I got at a thrift shop a week or so ago for less than $7.00-the only thing I don't like about it is the gummy stuff on the front that I can't seem to get off even with finger nail polish remover...any ideas....anyway-it came with a tetra filter and light-had to buy a heater

This is a NPT or natural planted tank-soil based with play sand cap-I got the dirt from the side of my hill, sifted and then added 1.5 inch and capped with less than half inch of play sand-lightly sprayed with water until wet and a shallow layer of water covering the sand

Added some native gathered driftwood and attached java moss, added/planted some bronze crypt, naja grass, spiral vals, westeria, rotala, ludwigia, hygrophila, cabomba, mexican oak leaf, pygmy chain swords and water lettuce

Once planted I filled with water and made several water changes to clear and added livestock

Light is a 10w 6500k CFL
I added some red cherry shrimp, common snails, trumpet snails and my female HMDT breeder (see pic of their offspring in my album added today and more pic of this tank too)

So far I have made 4 50% water only changes and will continue 50% water only for about 3 months and then the filter will be removed and water changes as needed-with NPT once they are mature and with low stocking you can limit number of water changes-due to the little ecosystem in a glass box will take care of itself.....

This tank was put together and livestock added all the same day-took about 2 hours.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #2 
BunniesLair

The gummy stuff.. if you have goo-gone - it works wonders on everything I have tried it on.

IF you don't have goo gone, but you do have a lemon or an orange, take the peel of the fruit and pinch it so that there is a spray of mist that squirts out. Aim that mist on the gummy stuff. If its a large area that needs to be cleaned, this could become tedious. But the 'citrus' stuff in a lot of cleaners, is from the peel part of the fruit. My dad used to use orange peels to clean oil off his cuticles after working on the cars, back in the '70's when I was a kid.

About your new tank.. I am so jealous! I have no aptitude for designing a tank like yours. Yours is beautiful! My poor fish. All he has is a cave and some java fern.
BunniesLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #3 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

It looks really nice, what a good find!
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #4 
shinybetta

Where did you get a 5 gallon for 7.00$?
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Looks great!

I read an article by Diana Walstad in an aquarium magazine where she did a 1 gallon planted tank with RCS. I'm going to order plants tomorrow and try out my first soil based tank in one of my 2 gallon tanks and add some RCS and eventually a betta.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #6 
JKfish

If what BunniesLair said doesn't work, try getting veggie oil on a paper towel or sponge and rubbing for a bit. Oil helps get rid of all sorts of icky sticky stuff like gum and the gross stuff left behind from stickers. :)

It looks beautiful, maybe one day I'll try something like that.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Thanks...I got it at a thrift shop 1 of 3 in 2 weeks 1-10g complete, 3gal eclispe complete and this 5gal....good stuff at thrift shops and I love the price...laffs...

Thanks bunnie I will look for that stuff and also try orange peel-I usually get this stuff off with a razor blade but not with acrylic.....a bit harder to work with than glass....but for the price I can deal with it...lol.....

If I can get my camera to work again I will get shots of the other new tanks....the 10gal ended up being a crayfish tank so it is pretty ugly...lol....just sand, oak leaves and floating plants...but the 3gal turned out pretty nice-it has gold or blond body male guppies and red cherry shrimp in it because I don't have a heater for it yet...but oddly enough the temp is staying over 85F

I wish I could get better pic of my HM/DT fry really proud of their outcome-they have some awesome dorsal and caudal fins but they don't show up well because of their color...you can see some pic in my album under user CP-I also posted some pic of some of the pleco fry

I wish I could figure out how to add pic to the aquarium tab by my avatar....I am a bit computer challenged.....laffs......

1fish-These are the Walstad type with a little twist of my own-you will love them and you can use most any soil too-I have several 1gal NPT without filtration that are going into their 3rd year and all doing great-the biggest problem I have with them is the massive plant growth and if I don't trim at least weekly the Betta doesn't have any room...lol.....

Here is a good link to a walstad step-by-step with pic-I do mine a bit different but this give you an idea...dang...it is not working right now...so I will post the link later...site must be down....
Old 11-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

That's what I'm hoping :) In the article she had a 1 gallon tank, no filtration, no heat, and use CFLs and sunlight to light it. The pictures were gorgeous. Hopefully the plants will do so well I'll be able to plant my other tanks as well :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Here it is.....http://thegab.org/Plants/setting-up-...nted-tank.html

Here is the step-by step guide- http://thegab.org/Plants/step-by-ste...nted-tank.html

I started with one tank and about $40.00 in plants from sweetaquatic for a 55gal start and within one year of plant growth-I had 5 tanks planted-2-20-2-10 and a 2gal and it has grown from that point and now I have 12 tanks planted from 75gal-2g with 8 1gal tanks...... and now I take my excess plants to a local pet shop for credit...all soil based, low light, no CO2, no ferts......my 25gal get natural sunlight along with a light strip 20w 6700k and I grow mass amounts of sags, vals, crypt and swords in that one along with java moss-no filter on it...they are rewarding........and so easy to care for once the soil matures and starts its life under water.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-25-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #10 
rogue619

Hey OFL, did you try peanut butter? It's good for getting sticky stuff off a lot of times. Smear it on real good, and then wait til it drys out, then scrape if off. Most of your gooey stuff should come off with it...
rogue619 is offline   Reply With Quote