Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #1 
Tsuhei

Omg help me please

Alright I just woke up ten minutes ago. I stuck a "new" 1-3 gallon whisper filter into my 2.5 gallon tank (yes, I know, cruel, but I just moved he'll get a new 5 gallon later as well as my other betta). It is heated to 79F (both) and I treat it with aquarium salt, an ammonia neutralizer (that is a conditioner), and Fish Protect (for slime coat). I measure everything out carefully.

I did a 25% water change yesterday to both tanks. Astaire (my veil teil) is treated the same way, and is doing great. He's been battling fin rot for a few months (been following forum instructions like the Bible), but is somewhat recovering. Stamps (my $60 halfmoon plakat as displayed in my avatar) is now swimming around sporadically, yet lazily through the tank, and in between his fancy mask is a red patch of scales that is now extremely pale. The luster in his eyes is gone.

I just did a water change because I noticed the water had spiked in nitrates. It was still in the safe range, but I don't know what the hell happened with that filter. It's out now. I have not used any medications in his tank other than the three items listed earlier.

Please help me save my fish my fiancee bought me from Singapore.

**EDIT** What I meant by a "new" filter is that it's been used for the same fish before when I first received him. I had him in a 1.5 gallon tetra master tank to make sure he was alright after shipping. After I was done using it (1 week), I dried out the filter and stored my stuff away. Now I'm starting to think that I'm an effing retard because it should have occurred to me that I could have gotten mildew since then, but no. I smelled the filter and the little cartridge and they smell fine. No there's no carbon dust, I rinse all my stuff.

**UPDATE** He is perking up from the 100% water change. I am not sure what damage I did to him or if this is just temporary. Should I not use a filter? I was gonna get a Tom Aquarium Mini Internal Filter today for both my tanks. I thought filters were good! Dear Fish Jeebus help me ; ;

Last edited by Tsuhei; 11-26-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #2 
Tsuhei

Double post I know but it won't let me edit anymore. I do two water changes a week usually. 50% and then 100%. Right now, since both bettas are battling finrot because of moving stress (not severe), I did a 100% water change at the beginning of this week and I've been doing 25% water changes about every day and have removed the gravel from my tank that may be harboring the bacteria and left them both a little hidey place that I thoroughly rinsed out (hollow lantern from petsmart).
Old 11-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems.....it sounds like you are providing proper care and water temp for your guys...its hard to say what is going on, I would keep doing what you are doing as far as the water changes, maybe even doing a aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment for 5-10 days along with the 100% daily water changes....sometimes it can be from something that fell in the water, something on your hands or in the air

Have you checked your source water to make sure that is not a problem

I don't think the filter was the problem so much as the water movement....some Bettas just don't like the water movement at all-do you have any live plants that you can add to their tanks...sometimes this make them feel safe and comfy....just a thought....

How is his appetite and what are you feeding?

You have an awesome looking Betta by the way.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #4 
JKfish

How's he acting? Any other abnormalities? a picture of the red patch of pale scales will help.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #5 
Tsuhei

@ OldFishLady:

Thank you for the fish compliment =)

The water ph/nitrate/ite/alkalinity is the same as my last house - I submitted a test to the state water treatment center last week to make sure it wasn't contaminated but haven't gotten results back quite yet. I did have live plants, but with my first tank, they killed my DT halfmoon plakat platinum red dragon - the plants I bought from petco melted away and polluted my tank within one day of getting them, instantly killing my dragon..so I'm a little wary on live plants. (Coincidentally I named him Albert Fish because he flared at me whenever he saw me in my room...I thought he wanted to kill me or something, so I thought naming him after a serial killer was a witty choice. But like most serial killers, they eventually meet their end one way or another, right?) I do want to get marimo though.

I feed both my fish 3 pellets of Hikari betta bio-gold and 2-3 freeze dried hikari blood worms a day. Sometimes I hold back on my fancy plakat atm because he's super small (maybe an inch) so he bloats up easily. But other than that, both of my bettas are little piggies and will jump out of the water before I even go to feed them during the time that I usually do. Kinda like a dog begging for his food bowl. It's cute. =) I do fast them one day a week.

@ JKfish:

He's acting a little better now. Flaring weakly at me now but his eyes are moving around. The red patch is just his normal scales underneath the "mask" pattern. He's from a dragon bloodline so he does have the typical pattern =P But here's a pic anyway to show you what I mean. It's dark in this picture but yeah..lighting and whatnot. It's a deep deep red =P

His paleness already is gone so I can't show a pic of that...he's doing much better than this morning. I'm just thinking that there was probably mildew in the filter perhaps...I'm not sure. I'm probably going to throw it out anyway since it leaks bubbles from the seal anyway.

Last edited by Tsuhei; 11-26-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #6 
JKfish

oh, alright. Well, if he's improving, and since you don't exactly know what was wrong, just keep his water super clean, and he should pull through.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #7 
Tsuhei

Thank you for your input so far. I just bought a Tom Aquarium Mini Internal Filter from Petsmart and stuck it in my veiltail's tank about...seven hours ago. He's still active and he's doing alright and ate pretty quick.

I am planning on putting the same mini internal filter in my HMPK's tank (not tonight of course! In maybe a few days after observing his health). That being said, since his fins are a little worse from the scare, I'm going to be doing 100% water changes daily with aquarium salt. However, since I've been battling this menace for almost 4 months with my veiltail, I was wondering if after the filter has been used for 6 days if I can start treatment with Mardel Maracyn 2 (or if it's even a wise decision). I want to get my fish to keep healthy and not lose their fins.

Or if I should forget using a filter for now and start treatment with Maracyn 2. Astaire is still active with the filter, but even on the lowest setting with diffuser, he does not seem happy and he seems not as active as usual, but still active.

**EDIT** I also have some Indian Almond Leaves on their way to me from Malaysia. I heard that they really help bettas (tannins and whatnot) and create the natural dark environment effect. Some say it even helps battle finrot and other bacterial/fungal infections and acts as a preventative.

Last edited by Tsuhei; 11-26-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #8 
Tsuhei

Double Post. My apologies. I wanted to show what's going on with my HMPK's finnage.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6974/1126101949.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2747/1126101949a.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8018/1126101950.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2879/1126101950a.jpg

Yes, it's the same fish as my picture. He started losing his white spots as he aged. (sad)

As you can see by the pictures posted, his dorsal fin is looking quite ragged.

In the first picture, you can see the top of his tail fin has a chunk missing.

In the second picture, you can see his anal fins slowly becoming torn at the edges.

I do not have anything other than a heater in my HMPK's tank because I don't want to risk him injuring himself further. Astair (veiltail) has one hidey hole and no plants as well to prevent more injury.

I am not sure what to do at this point other than medication, but I don't want to stress him out. I will post pictures of Astaire if that helps. His fins are somewhat growing back, but not fully.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

I don't use OTC medications so I can't advise on it use-I have found natural methods works best for me-regardless of treatment you have to give it time-fins can take months to grow back and depending on the whats and whys, genetic, overall water quality, age of the fish...fin may never look the same. I don't use filtration with my Bettas I keep in small container-I have found that the water movement can sometimes be part of the cause of fin issues in my experience.
The best treatment I have found for fins is clean water and lots of water changes, a good high protein diet, oak leaf tannins and if really bad I will do aquarium salt treatment for 10 days-I usually start to see re-growth within a few days and this can vary from fish to fish.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #10 
Tsuhei

Alright, I won't use medications, thank you =) I will follow your instructions of your first post, OldFishLady, of 1tsp/gallon for 5-10 days starting....NOW! I have been treating with aquarium salt already but have been following the directions on the box for1/2tsp/gallon. So hopefully, this helps! Thank you.

PS - I took out the filter to the veiltail's tank last night after my last post. He started acting strange. I guess no filters for either bettas...

Should I go through with my plan to get some marimo? And I'm still super nervous about live plants because of last time...