Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

I have never had any of the marimo balls-so I can't say much about them, however, I have and keep lots of aquatic plants and as long as you get real aquatic plants and have the right lights they should do well for you-depending on how they are grown at the nursery some can melt and they appear to be dead when they are just changing over from emersed to submersed growth and will be fine as long as proper light is provided, also some plants can be really sensitive to aquarium salt and use can kill the plants....I highly recommend live plants for Bettas-but research is still needed so you know that you have true aquatic plants that can live under water and not rot and die and that you can met their needs just like with a fish
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

Sorry...I'm no expert on diseases but I want you HMPK!!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #13 
Tsuhei

Haha thanks Vamp
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #14 
Tsuhei

Double post again! Sorry I'm really nervous about these guys.

I have noticed little whispy stringy things that look like slime hairs coming off of my veiltail for maybe a month. They shed off after a while (like just now. Two came off about maybe 1/3 inch each).

My HMPK has a little stringy hair now too coming out from near his gill. I'm thinking this is fungus. It is not really white, but cloudy looking.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like they are shedding their slim coat and this can be normal and it can also be a sign of some type of irritation to the slim coat-are they flashing or rubbing themselves on objects or anything like that.....excess slim coat can be- heavy metals in the water, salt can cause this and what you want it to do and it can be a sign of external parasites....if it is just excess slim coat shedding it is most likely expected due to salt-if it start to get really heavy you may want to decrease the salt and increase the water change...also check your temp and make sure it is not too high....anything sudden and over 80F can cause bad bacteria to multiply and cause problems...but if they are acting fine otherwise.....I wouldn't worry with small amount of slim shedding......a pic would be helpful if you can get a clear shot of what you are seeing.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

Yeah I get that on some fish. Mine get it on their pectoral fins or near them, so I just suck it with a turkey baster after it falls off.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #17 
CrankyFish84

I'm not sure what happened last time w/ your live plants...But this is one I really like. :)
Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Anacharis
My PH is around 8, and I don't do anything special for it. It grows very fast, I just cut off the brown ends. You can plant it/tie it to a decoration, or let it float free...some of mine "beach" themselves on it,
half in/half out of the water lol it's cute
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #18 
Tsuhei

@OldFishLady:

They aren't rubbing themselves on anything, or so it appears...Their water temperature hardly fluctuates - it's always between 78-79F. After I placed Astaire into my 2.5 gallon, treated with Fish Protect, Ammonia Neutralizer, and 1tsp Aquarium Salt/Gallon as instructed, he started acting very strange. He's starting to come around, but he looks extremely unhappy and he won't flare at me anymore. He's actually hiding from me. I really can't get a clear shot of the slime coming off, but it just looks like a cloudy thread of "cotton" soaked in water.

@MrVampire181:

Cool, I'll keep skimming if I see anymore great tip :D
Old 11-28-2010, 04:23 AM   #19 
Tsuhei

**UPDATE**

After following instructions for 1tsp aquarium salt/gallon, I have gotten very negative results. I have decided to change half of the water to relieve the stress.

Astaire has red stress striations on the sides of his body now. He is clamped and refuses to move very much. Just changed his water to take out some of the salt.

Stamps is acting weird like he's having mini seizures now and is now acting sporadically and resting at the top of the water - he has never, ever done this.

IF they survive the night from salt shock, I am going to change their water and go back to little to no salt. This treatment may have very well killed them both.

After which, if they survive, I will put in gravel and a marimo moss ball so a new good bacteria culture can be reestablished. I do not know what else to do for them now since both of the tanks balances have been destroyed.

Thank you for what input you all could give me so far.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #20 
effy

good luck i hope they survive!
effy is offline   Reply With Quote