Hello, everyone. I have one 2 1/2 year old red male Betta, Star. He's an only fish and lives by himself in a one gallon tank. There's a filter and a water heater in his tank, if that makes any difference. Anyway, I'm extremely worried because he has a huge bulge right under his two side fins. I don't know if he has dropsy, swim bladder disorder, if he's constipated, or worse. He seems in pain, and curls up in an L shape on the bottom of the tank. He also seems to hold one side fin close to his body and tries to use the other one more. By the way, he is eating and going to the bathroom. I've included a link to pictures and one 3-minute video of him on Photobucket (I had problems uploading it on this site). In case you don't know, click on the pictures to view them zoomed in.
Go to a private Photobucket.com album
Password for viewing photos: sickstar
- Tank Temperature: 82 degrees
- His food: Hikari Betta Bio-gold pellets, six a day.
- Water changes: 1/3 of water every week
- Water additives: NovAqua dechlorinator and aquarium salt
- pH of water: 7.2
- Medicine, just added: Simply betta anti-fungus and bacteria and Tetra halo-guard, 1/2 tablet
- I just noticed his symptoms yesterday, but they were probably going on longer than that
- History of illness: Ick and fungus, but he was cured of that
Any Betta experts out there who could help? I'm willing to answer any questions and am desperate not to let the little guy die!
Incidentally, he's kind of turning to one side in some of the pictures - so his scales might not actually be sticking out that much. I apologize for the awful quality - my cellphone doesn't take very good pictures.
To everyone answering - THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!