Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #11 
peaches3221

I keep my betta in a one gallon jar, and he's fine! you just have to remember to change the water at least once a week. very pretty boy!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #12 
CrankyFish84

If you can find it, an economical water conditioner is PRIME brand...It works out to about 2 drops
per gallon. Ask a drug store pharmacist for a 5ml syringe (easier than pouring it & potentially wasting a lot)...Creating a covered bucket of pre-conditioned water to use every week might save you some time. :)
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
I keep my betta in a one gallon jar, and he's fine! you just have to remember to change the water at least once a week. very pretty boy!
What??? 1 gallon tanks need at least 2 full water changes a week, preferably one every other day. Have you ever tested the ammonia in that tank.

I don't mind keeping fish in 1 gallon tanks, especially long fins but it is hard work getting all the tanks cleaned, especially when you start talking multiple tanks. Don't let your water quality get down. HMs have a lot of fin which means more likelihood of tears which means higher incidence of fin rot. Don't let that happen just because you couldn't manage 3 water changes a week.

Besides water quality heating is the second most important thing you must have. Get a heater and a thermometer and make sure it can heat to at least 76* with 80* being preferable.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #14 
Jupiter

A cave or something he can hide in will definitely make him happier, so go for it!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #15 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseBetta View Post
I do have water conditioner, but I need to get more soon! (having four setups uses a lot of it!)

I'm ready and willing to do water changes frequently - so far I've scheduled them for Sundays and Thursdays, with mini 5-10% water changes in between the big ones!

What about decorations? So far I have that fake silk plant, but I'd like to get Dusk a cave or something of some sort. An archway? what do you think?

A cave would be good. =]
You can get a cute small terra cotta pot to go in there.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #16 
TaylorW

Ooh, I have a plastic archway that's made to look like natural rocks stacked on top of each other! My betta loves it, he sometimes sleeps in it or hides behind it :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #17 
TurquoiseBetta

Thanks for all the help guys!
Quick question: Dusk isn't eating. Even if I drop the food right in front of him, he doesn't seem to notice! Is he sulking? what should I do?
TurquoiseBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #18 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
I have an old 1 gal. pickle jar that I have had for YEARS (bought it at a yard sale) that I would LOVE to try to keep a betta in, but can't figure out how to heat it. How do you heat your 1 gal. jar?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #19 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseBetta View Post
Thanks for all the help guys!
Quick question: Dusk isn't eating. Even if I drop the food right in front of him, he doesn't seem to notice! Is he sulking? what should I do?
it's normal for betta not to eat for a while while they adjust to their new home. Just keep offering it to him. You can try soaking the food in garlic juice too. Be sure to remove and food he doesn't eat so it doesn't foul the water!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #20 
1fish2fish

I agree with Jupiter.. just give him time.

LionMom.. I keep my breeders in 1 gallon jars with Hydor Mini Heaters. They keep they jars at about 77* (but that's because my house is really cold).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote