Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #1 
wildmagic713

Question Has anyone else noticed this?

I noticed tonight while buying my new fishtank that PetCo's Bettas look 10x better than PetSmart's. There was a GORGEOUS double-tail halfmoon that I would've gotten, but my mom won't let me get another Betta (I have ONE, and a 10 gallon tank).

We walked into PetCo, I noticed the Bettas. Their water was clear, they were in solid cups (Heavy plastic at the very least, felt like glass), and they were not skinny and they didn't look ill in any way. They were kept on a set of shelves, so they weren't stacked on top of each other.

We went in PetSmart. I looked at them, and was appalled. They looked horrible, many were half dead, they were stacked, and they just looked awful.

It was astounding about the difference. There were a few beautiful Bettas (The males) at PetCo (I just don't like the females as much, but I'm sure they'll grow on me) that looked incredibly healthy for all that they were pet store fish, and the ones in PetSmart made me want to kill someone, namely the one responsible for their conditions.

Anybody else notice something like this?
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #2 
MadMay

Actually yes, My petco's fish look amazing and healthy, but my lfs has really sickly looking ones. The petsmart I went to they had clean containers but they only had vt and brownish deltas.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #3 
wildmagic713

All I know is, next time I get a new fish, I am getting one from PetCo. Because I LOVED that male that I saw.

And they do a good job of keeping track of ages and such there.

I'm not so intense into Bettas yet that I want to buy from AquaBid, I'm sure I will eventually, but for now I'm satisfied with my PetCo's Bettas.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #4 
MadMay

I wish I could afford Aquabid but I am a starving college student, I dont even have enough money for proper food (Ramen noodle and cereal diet) If I had more tanks and the money I would probably come home with half of petcos bettas! The only complaint I have with them is they only have like two giants at a time and they look really stressed (Clamped fins and stress stripes.)
Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #5 
MrVampire181

Opposite over here...PetsMArt is ok but has older bettas but PetCo gets very young bettas (like just removed from their brothers and sisters and shipped to the store).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #6 
wildmagic713

The ones I saw today were happy. Maybe it's just my PetCo though... But I did see what you mean about not many large Bettas. Most were small today (looked to be the size of Mister Fishy when I rescued him from my cousin's wedding reception, but he's gotten bigger), but I saw a few adults that were very nice. They had them ordered at mine by their size, so it was easy to find the adults.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #7 
MadMay

I would be worried about buying fish to young I would think that they wouldnt be as sturdy, but if you were buying them to breed then it would be nice to know that they arent to old.

What was a fish doing at a wedding? I highly doubt a fish merrited an invitation, so I assume he was meant for a decoration in a shallow puddle of death as a center piece?
Old 12-18-2010, 01:18 AM   #8 
wildmagic713

Yep, pretty much... *Sigh*

But they all found homes. He was the last one left. They weren't planning on leaving them to die, they were giving them away at the end of the reception.

I talked my parents into letting me rescue Mister Fishy. He survived the two and a half hour drive home from Ohio and went into a 5 gallon tank the next day.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:22 AM   #9 
MadMay

I bet he was relieved to be in a new home! I feel so bad at lps the owner always has a fish in one of the so called "Betta Tanks" they are like .25 gallon they look so sad!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:27 AM   #10 
wildmagic713

I know :( I went into the aquarium store on my search for a hood today, and they weren't selling any Betta containers smaller than a gallon. Most were 2 or larger.

Thank god THEY know what they're doing.