Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #1 
baylee767

Question Is this finrot?

I thought that Neon had finrot but I need to verify this so if necessary and daily waterchanges+salt don't work I know which medication to use. Here are some pics:
Attached Images

baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #2 
Jayy

It looks like tail biting to me. Caused by boredom, stress, or trying to lighten the load( long heavy fins).
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #3 
baylee767

I don't think it's tail biting because you can't really see it in the pictures but his top fin (dorsel fin, I think?) is also very spiky. I'd be amazed if he was biting that 0-0

EDIT: In my Avatar you can see his dorsal fin is spiky

Last edited by baylee767; 11-26-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #4 
Malvolti

When I first noticed the biting my guy's tail looked similarly ragged but to a worse degree than yours. My boy has a spikey dorsal like that too but he doesn't have fin rot, he's a biter. Even now as his tail is regrowing beautifully his dorsal hasn't changed. I'm not sure why his dorsal is like that but it is.

Either way the salt and water changes are the best course of action, also look into getting a variet of plants and changing them around every week or so, if he's biting changing his plants around frequently should entertain him enough to stop and the water changes will help his fin regrow.

If you're determined to treat for fin rot I usually use a combo of Maracyn and Maracyn2.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #5 
baylee767

Molvolti: I probably can't get new plants for awhile (I desperatly want a live one!) Because my parents seem desperate for me to not buy anything for my fish /=

I have no idea how a Betta can bite its dorsal but since you have expirience with this than I guess it is. Will putting in a coffee mug and putting my bubbler back in help his tail biting? Now that I think about, this started once I removed his bubbler.... I'm putting it back in.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #6 
BETTACHKALOVE

I just put post about fungus on my betta. But i have another betta i bought him 03/30/10 so he is about 1 year old. About 3 mo ago i notice that his fins the one which is near to the pelvis get shorter.May be i am wrong though. But i decided just observe him. He doesn't have any other symptoms on the tail,and it doesn't get worse or shorter or infected, no slime or ''cottony'' stuff,no red or dark steaks. So i decided just observation ok since he is the same. He is healthy looking betta.

Is baylee767 betta look healthy?

I am obviously not an expert i just curious. I have my sick betta with fungus i don't know what to do.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #7 
Jayy

Alot of male VTs have dorsal like that( including mine). It's normal and perfectly fine. So don't worry. You can't cure tail biting. It's something that a betta has to stop doing on their own. You can add some AQUARIUM salt to treat it. Also try putting his mug back in. That will give a place hide and just hang out.

Last edited by Jayy; 11-26-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #8 
baylee767

I just put his mug and bubbler back in (= I hope it helps he seems very interested in the mug. He wont go inside, but he swims around the outside with his nose touching it. He's also occasionally trying to swim up and bite bubbles that reach the surface! It seems like he's less bored because of the activity, but I'll just wait and see if his tail gets better.

And, if it is tail biting, than I'm guessing daily 100% waterchanges aren't necessary. I might make a background so he has something to check out. Happier is the Neon in my house today (I think).

BETTACHKALOVE: Yes, other than his tail Neon is very active and healthy.

Last edited by baylee767; 11-26-2010 at 11:07 PM.