Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #1 
JD3P

Cory's?

Okay so I have a question...I want to get some cory's for my tank, but I'm not sure how well it will go over with my betta. In the past I've had an ADF, but it died after a few days. I am not 100% sure, but I think my fishy might have had something to do with it...I also had a ghost shrimp which my betta looked at as a snack, even though that was not it's purpose. The only other surviving aquatic life in his tank besides plants, is my snail. I went to Petsmart today to see the cory's and they seem really energetic. I've read they need to be in a group of six or more. Right now I have a 10 gallon, so I think it's big enough for a couple. My question is if I should get them or not. I don't want to have them die, but at the same time if there are six in there maybe they will have a fighting chance. Any experiences, suggestion? Please only answer if you actually know about this. Thanks.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #2 
Alex09

Unless they are the dwarf kind I wouldn't suggest 6. 3-4 would be better in terms of stocking levels. I say you should try and see what happens. If you see aggression or nipped fins then you can take them back. I have 3 cories and all three of the bettas that I have put that tank have gotten along fine with them. To lower chances of aggression; take the betta out, do a water change, redecorate the tank, put in the cories, and put the betta back in last. He may no longer recognize his territory and wont feel as if the cories are intruding.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #3 
JD3P

Thank you so much, great advice. I was planning on redecorating soon, so I'll add them when I do. I'm not sure if the cories are dwarfs or not, on the website it says they get a maximum of 2-3 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Unless they are the dwarf kind I wouldn't suggest 6. 3-4 would be better in terms of stocking levels. I say you should try and see what happens. If you see aggression or nipped fins then you can take them back. I have 3 cories and all three of the bettas that I have put that tank have gotten along fine with them. To lower chances of aggression; take the betta out, do a water change, redecorate the tank, put in the cories, and put the betta back in last. He may no longer recognize his territory and wont feel as if the cories are intruding.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #4 
Alex09

Well the dwarf kinds are probably only an inch or two.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #5 
crowntail lover

If they arent Dwarf and it says they can grow to 2-3 inches then you can get about 4 in the 10g. You wouldnt crowd him with 6. :]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote